Sports In Bangkok

Does anyone know of any leagues in Bangkok for Expats?

Something like softball, Football (Soccer), Football (American)Basketball. Nothing too serious just something to join and have some fun playing sports. I am getting bored and fat and am in need of some fun.

DD

There are 3 farang-orientated football leagues, at varied skill/seriousness levels; the more serious they get, the more fit, young Thais seem to join the squads. Also, there is a veterans league (over-35s) basically for all the farangs who can't catch the fit, young Thais.

There is some quite serious softball played and one or two international invitation tournaments during the year.

I think that flag(?) version of American "football" is catching on here now.

Lots of Basketball played, not sure about leagues but plenty of pick-up games at places like NIST on Soi 15.

If you wander down to the far right corner in Suan Ben (next to Emporium) there are constant volleyball/Basketball/takraw pick-up games going on and they seem to welcome the occasional farang.

Best bet for more info, contact numbers etc on all of the above and others such as ice hockey and ultimate frisbee is Metro magazine. Their website doesn't seem to have the general listings available at the moment.

LG

More leagues: Hockey league at the rink in Ramkahhaeng (check at rink, probably), darts played everywhere (but plenty around Washington Square pubs), golf leagues at several courses (easy to find), bball leagues common (check maybe Metro?), and as LG notes, plenty of football leagues for various ages.

froggo

This is more serious than what you are looking for and also Chang Mai not Bangkok but i thought i would pass it on in case anybody else is interested............

Sponsored by POWER BAR

Organised by Adventure Racing (Thailand) Ltd.

Saturday 3rd August 2002

Approximately 40k north of Chiang Mai.

1 Day Adventure Race

- Bt 3,000 per team

- Two person teams, category male, female and mixed

- First come first serve, limit to 60 teams

- Disciplines will include Trail running, Mountain Biking, Bamboo Rafting, running, rope sections, team biathlon and special tests involving skill and teamwork.

- We expect the first teams to finish in around 4 and a half-hours with the average teams to finish in 5 - 7 hours.

- There will be no cut-off for the later teams but in the interest of safety, teams may be directed to a shorter course.

-

***Race competitors must be able to swim 100 meters without a life jacket.

- Race Fee includes:

A) race entry for one team

B) Two tickets to prize presentation dinner on Saturday 3rd August, 2002

C) Race bib/number which is to be worn at all times during the race

D) Souvenir T-shirt

E) Finishers medal

*Mandatory equipment ? per person

- mountain bike (no slick tyres) with at least 2 water bottles

- helmet

- gloves (fingerless are ok)

- 2 spare inner tubes per person (and knowledge on how to change)

- hydration system (min 2 litre capacity) camelbak style drinking system

- Running shoes

B-ball?! Ching Ching?!! Now ya talkin'. Any lingering reasons for my not moving to LOS have now been erased. Albeit I suck at the sport, but I love to play a little pick up once in a while. Plus it may be the only form of exercise I get that is not in the prone position.

I may play a little softball but basketball is about it. If they lower the rim to 8ft and get me a trampoline, you might see my reverse 360 dunk.

LG,

Thanks for the info.

How do I contact someone regarding the aforementioned sports? I really want to get back into it.

Thanks,

DD

Archived