New car prices ?

Hi !

First, Bonjour from France, Paris. smile.gif" border="0

I will be relocating from Paris To Phuket next year and I want to buy (in my wife's name) a new car (probably Toyota Land Cruiser). Where can i find on internet the Thai prices for new cars ? I have been looking a lot but was unable to find...

Thanks for your help.

I doubt you can. I've certainly never seen anything of the sort around. The local dealers aren't nearly that sophisticated.

If it helps, the Jeep Cherokee (locally assembled version) is a pretty sound vehicle, reasonably luxurious, and comes with a four year all-in warranty (which you'll need). The going price, last time I heard, was about B2.3-2.5 million.

Yes I know about the taxes beiing wery high. But so how so many thais do have a car ? How can they aford to buy a car with an average salary of 20.000Bath a month ?

Marc:

Check out the web site www.toyota.co.th. But it is in Thai with some English though.

Or you could contact them directly via email.I copied info below from the site.

---------

If you have any questions or advise regarding to

Toyota Motor Thailand, please contact us at

Toyota Motor Thailand Co., Ltd.

186/1 Mu 1 Old Railway Rd.,

T. Samrongtai, A. Phra Pradaeng

Samut Prakarn 10130

Tel: 386-1000

CRL: 386-2000

HRD: 386-1469, 386-1451

PR: 386-1422, 386-2086, 386-1456

E-mail: info@toyota.co.th

---------

1111MAN.

quote:

Originally posted by Marc:

How can they aford to buy a car with an average salary of 20.000Bath a month ?

The answer is...They Can't.

Many of these people are in debt up to their eyeballs. Also, you might see someone driving a lovely new BMW and expect they are pretty well off. Wrong. They more than likely live in a 3,500 baht per month apartment, share it with two friends and spend most of their salary paying off the car. "Face" is the thing here. We can see their car, but we can't see their apartment.

I would highly recommend buying a used car, there are plenty of reposessed ones out there, they used to be owned buy those very people I just mentioned.

Cheers

Roger

[ June 22, 2001: Message edited by: Roger ]

Archived