Prostitution - so is it a good thing, or what?

Long Gun

>I do think they were also naïve but she was a youngish university student when she wrote the book. <

she actually was already a bit over the hill, a bit of a late student after her goa days.

apart from the guys she described about dating in the book she also dated one oldtimer farang guy, a real nasty character one better stays away from. more than one beer and the guys starts throwing around threads. according to a friend of mine there were a few funny scenes with that guy and her and him being extremely jealous...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Khun Pad Thai: "This whole discussion is pretty ridiculous. It's easy to answer the question of whether life as a prostitute is acceptable."

Actually, the topic of the discussion is whether it's "good," not "acceptable."

Agreed, it's better to be a computer programmer, a marketing director, or a comfortable housewife. Being a prostitute is - generally speaking - a less attractive option, with many occupational hazards.

On the other hand, women who become prostitutes by choice often chose this option because they perceive it as better than the other alternatives being available to them.

Is it a good thing, then? Well, relatively speaking, yes. Paying $1,000 for a loaf of bread seems to be a bad thing. Except if you have the $1,000 and you're about to starve to death. Then it suddenly becomes a good thing.

In any culture on earth does being a prostitute (whore) earn the woman any status above the lowest status structure determined by that culture? I know of none. Given that fact, the prostitute is, in fact, the lowest status a woman can aspire to, within her given society, or common food gatherers, as the case may be.

[color:purple] Are you talking present day culture? Western Culture? I am sure many on this board can inform you about concubines, consorts, Washington Madames, Hollywood Madames. etc. Women who use their charms and wiles to broker and attain power, status, influence and wealth.

I think you may be referring to a specific type of prostitute. color=purple>

>power, status, influence and wealth< 99.8% agreement.

Shoot, I generally like hos more than non-hos!!!

Non-Hos are generally kinda boring.

I lub Hos.. yella hos, brown hos, pink hos, blonde hos.. heck most any oh ho will do.

Hos in EU, hos in asia, hos in SA, hos in US .. I lub hos.

+ I've known several hos i kinda trusted.

a group of street hos on a cornor generally has more intregrity than most corporate boardrooms & a lot more entertaining shuck n jive.. even in 2 different languages hos is more fun than most stuffy non-ho.

Carpel tunnel, back injury, silicosis, VD .. there are hazards associated with most jobs.. & where their money comes from is of no concern, in my part of town anyway.

but she was a youngish university student when she wrote the book.

------------------------

Hardly so, i took the book to make sure i answer right. It was "researched" between 88 and 90, and she said she was a teenager in the 60's, taking part in the crazy and leftist scene of that decade. I take it she was born around 1950 to the latest.

Long Gun,

>DETESTING them (that?s a very harsh word, you know?) <

I know but is it THAT hard?

>>Moneyleader? She just said that these girls have MONEY. So, they don?t need moneylenders. <<

>I?m sorry, this just shows your lack of familiarity with the day to day existence of a class other than your own. Your maids have money, ask them if they have ever borrowed any.<

But the BGs have MORE money than my maids. They should be able to handle their own financial matters. From what I read from this site, they don't handle it well. Spend too much on something not necessary and can't save up. Who is to blame? My mom always says it is not the money we earn, it's the money we spend that matters the most. Otherwise, it's not going to be ENOUGH to spend on if we don't know HOW to spend it. That's why I respended to the comment that bgs went to their favorite bars to spend their money maybe too often? That could result that they can't save up.

>BTW this is the 2nd time in this post that you seem to be inferring that farangs are the sole source of sexually transmitted diseases in Thailand. <

Did I say for one that farangs are the SOLE source of STDs/AIDS? I didn' say that at all. You just implyed it. I'm fully awared of the situation in Thai oriented scene.

GTG

I know but is it THAT hard?

-------------------------------------

It is, GTG, it is....... (I swear both monkey and dog made me say that, being the proper gentleman that i am...)

PS: how do we get the little yellow faces to punctuate posts, BTW, I am sick and tired of using LOLs and Ahahahs?

pattaya127,

>>I know but is it THAT hard?

-------------------------------------

>It is, GTG, it is....... (I swear both monkey and dog made me say that, being the proper gentleman that i am...)

OK, teacher. I believe it.

>PS: how do we get the little yellow faces to punctuate posts, BTW, I am sick and tired of using LOLs and Ahahahs?

See the the word UBBCode in your posts on the top of the page. Click that you will then see a new window with instruction and just follow it.

Have fun.

GTG

Archived