age of consent

This subject may have already been covered to death but since I don't usually check the legal forum please bear with me.

My understanding is that the age of consent in Thailand is 16, the same as it is in many states in the US and all national parks no matter what state. I know that a girl is supposed to be 18 to work in a bar in Thailand but is it your responsibility to make sure the bar and the girl are obeying the law? If you barfine a girl that is over 16 but under 18, of course you've assumed that the girl is at least 18 since you met her in a bar, are you breaking the law? Would it be a good Idea to check the girls ID yourself?

I'd like to make it clear that I prefer women with a little expireance, at least mid 20's. And I'd never consider sleeping with a woman under 18 no matter what the law is.I'm just intelectually interested in these legal distinctions.

Bass,

I think the age of consent is actually 15, but the law states that they must be 18 to work as a prostitute. The onus of proof is upon the defendant to prove that he did not know the girl was not 18 or over. This is apparently very hard to prove and I think the assumption is usually one of guilt. This is why I rarely go for women under the age of 25 when sanuking.

Cheers

Jaga

As far as working girls go, the age of consent is up in the air. It was always believed thta it was 18, but there have been a lot of references to 20 recently, in the press. Some of the bars that do actually care and self police, seem to believe that the age of consent is 18.

Stick

"...the age of consent in Thailand is 16, the same as it is in many states in the US and all national parks no matter what state."

In reference to "national parks", are you including squirrels, as well as the usual "deer and antelope"! smile.gif

This topic has been covered to death and deserves again to die.

Legal distinctions have nothing to do with it..an adult has no business engaging in sexual relations with anyone who is also not an adult.

>Legal distinctions have nothing to do with it..an adult has no business engaging in sexual relations with anyone who is also not an adult.

I agree with you 100% but that has nothing to do with my questions. Did you even read the whole post, or are you just having trouble understanding the questions? I'm sorry that you felt the need to rebuff my questions without adding anything constructive. It's fairly easy to just ignore Posts that don't interest you.

Wildalaska,

Whilst I applaud the emotion behind your statement, I don't think it actually makes sense.

When you say 'not an adult', what definition are you using for adult if not the legal one?

It is very hard and possibly dangerous to use subjective determinations of physical or emotional maturity. I have met fifteen year olds who were both physically and emotionally mature. I have met twenty-five year olds who were not.

The only advice one can give anybody that will keep them out of legal trouble is to say 'do not have sex with anyone under the legal age!' And in order to do this, it helps to know what the legal age is.

Of course, Thailand being Thailand, it is hard to say what the legal age is.

My take on it all would be:

It strikes me as seriously unlikely that most members of this board would find themselves in a potentially sexual situation with a sixteen or seventeen year old where there was no financial transaction. Therefore it would be illegal.

The legal age is eighteen, but there have been conflicting statements by the government that do indeed appear to put the legal age at twenty. However, it strikes me as unlikely that unless this is clarified further, the police could realistically take legal action against someone for having a consensual relationship with, for example, a nineteen year old.

Personally, I absolutely draw the line at eighteen, though I feel more comfortable if the girls are at least nineteen.

I have asked to see ID cards in the past, and I think in a country where it is not always easy to determine a girl's age, one needs to define both one's own and the country's legal limits. I think to define such limits is the moral, and legally sensible think to do.

So I get a bit annoyed when people raise this issue and are automatically treated like paedophiles researching their future prey.

ranma

Hear Hear!

Re the 20 year old limit I think that applies not to the age of consent which is variable in Thailand. I think it goes 15 or 16 for sex and 18 for paid sex. So if a 16 year old wants to have sex with you make sure you dont charge her.

The 20 Year old applies to actually working in a bar and is sporadically enforced.

May be wrong about all of the above as dont have that problem in Thailand but think its pretty accurate.

BTW If american please note that your home state age of consent also applies even while abroad.

>BTW If american please note that your home state age of consent also applies even while abroad.

Are you sure it's your home state age of consent, or the national age of consent that applies? I believe the national age of consent is 16, that is the age of consent in national parks, military bases, and nationally held land.

Sh*t, there is no age of consent for prostitution, darnit! Prostitution is illegal, so how can the be an age, above which it is legal?

If you hire a prostitue under 18 you will be in deep yogurt.

This is from the Prostitution Prevention and Suppression Act B.E. 2539 (1996) as posted on the TAT web site.

"* a customer using the sexual service of a child prostitute under 18 years of age will be punished with imprisonment ;Ê"

Their not kidding around, and no special dispensation for farangs.

Just had to set that straight.

RickF

Archived