It truly amazes me

This weeks column from Stickman pays much attention to the farang-BG relationships.

After so many years in Bangkok it still truly amazes me to see foreigners (tourist and expats alike) parading around their BG. For the short time tourist this has no lasting effect perhaps, but a farang living here should know better.

The Thai class society can not be expressed better than in Stickman's column. If your are an executive with a company here and show up with your BG-GF at a Thai party, then you've lost all respect once and for all. Thais can smell a BG miles away, so please don't think that yours is different.

And when she joins in any conversation, all possible doubts are definetely removed.

And then look at the lines of farang tourists with their BG-GF's at Western Embassies. Why is it that so many are willing to get married with a prostitute that they have know for perhaps a few week or so. Most couples can barely communicate with each other.

How can you fall in love with a girl who has stated her love for you after a few days of paid services. Get real, she doesn't love you.

Sorry, it has all been said before, but had to get this off my chest.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Point well taken. There is no doubt that average or upper class thai's can pick out a BG. They can also pick out a Farlang. And when it really comes down to it their inner most feelings are about the same for both.

With that said I for one have no problem getting involved with hookers. I had a girlfriend in farlangland who was one. (no I was not a customer). I have no issues with that part of the equation. I also realize that at my age the most I can hope for is a fairly short term relationship (2 years or less) and well quite frankly I am going to find the cutest best english speaking BG I can. I have never been one who has had much concern about society's perception of me, as long as it isnt illegal I say live and let live. Please not this is not a flame, just my opinion

Guest lazyphil

<<How can you fall in love with a girl who has stated her love for you after a few days of paid services. Get real, she doesn't love you>>

Seems to be some anger in your post, this is the place to vent it. I'm guessing you've been hurt by a bg. These things happen. Keep looking for your dream Thai girl. GTG/BTG/BG/GBG/BBG, or any other connotation you can think of. The right girl is out there for you somewhere. Patience my man, patience!

Unless you're frequently in business meetings, conferences or at corporate parties does it really matter if your g/f is a BG? I agree with your point to an extent but from the tourist point of view, what the hell - they're only on holiday. Maybe the business man should tread with caution but how many Thai businessmen have mia nois? how much respect is there for that?

orandodes,

Hmmm. Stating the blindingly obvious and rehashing some pretty well-trodden ground - I agree with Phil that there is more to this than meets the eye.

We've been over the topic of 'Farang man with Thai woman' many, many times, as I'm sure you are aware, and the predominant opinion from many board members seems to be 'Screw 'em - I dont give a flying f*ck what the majority of Thais think !'.

I'm sure that making a good impression on business/professional colleagues is important, but there are so many layers to Thai society that I'm not sure if a Farang is ever truly welcomed into a given echelon. One for the long-time expats to debate : my knowledge in this area is purely secondhand.

If you cant handle seeing Western men with younger Thai women, perhaps Bangkok isnt the place to be. If thine eye offendeth thee, pluck it out. Failing that, just laugh along with us smile.gif

It truly amazes me....

that a person who loathes the BG scene and relationships around it is himself embroiled in one. oh, you're former BG supportee is less damaged goods? what if she had just one customer and not told you about it. by your logic and posts, she never lies to you right? of course later on, you'll post and generalize that BG's all can't be believed whatsoever and in your words, "Get real, she doesn't love you."

some consistency please.

on your main point. yes I agree with you. it's the farang's responsiblity on how his partner is dressed and acts. then again, like sarisin I see the lines of differentiating a BG and a GTG blurring with the new fashions.

here's a question, how does one tell if the girl is an ordinary hotel receptionist or a BG? The dress? How about jeans and a t-shirt. Does that ensemble scream bloody whore? What if the girl is from Isaan? Does that label all females from that area streetwalkers? Conversations? again, take a BG and a ordinary hotel receptionist/staff. Neither of them have any high education, so ignorant=whore?

obviously, I'm not talking about the flamboyantly dressed BG's that are obvious to everyone. Where's the real defining distinction, if any? well if you say it's a combo, what if it's a poor hardworking hotel cleaning lady from isaan wearing a t-shirt and jeans, she's a BG in public view?

I haven't read Stickman's article, but you said:

"...Thais can smell a BG miles away, so please don't think that yours is different. And when she joins in any conversation, all possible doubts are definetely removed..."

Keyword: Bar-girl.

I wonder: do you draw any distinction between a bar-girl and a freelancing college-girl?

I mean, I don't like "bar-girls." I like freelancers. Many of them are quite literate, they don't work in bars because they don't have to, and they know how to dress appropriately for the circumstances (i.e. they don't dress like a slut in a business environment).

I can smell a bar-girl miles away, and I steer away from them. Maybe I'm naive about Thai ways, but I think a freelancing college-girl could pass quite well in polite company.

If a guy wants to marry a girl he's known for week I say let it be! If the dudes dumb enough to actually go through with it, he probably deserves whatever he gets.

I wouldnt marry a prostitute at home and I wouldnt marry one in Thailand, but thats just me. Lot of guys get over there and lose their minds in a big fantasy. They may be on cloud 9 for a while, but what goes up eventually has to come down.

Firstly, I don't give a shit for Thai class society.

Secondly, here around Chumpon I know of 5 farang/bg couples who are doing fine, thank you.

Thirdly, in my case we have not stated our love after a few days, it took a few months and severall separations.

Our relationship is a moving thing, if anything goes wrong on either side we will end it.

I am real and she loves me, I am to old for not knowing the difference. I am on trip 24 to LOS and stated from trip one on "I will never fall in love with a BG", I have to retract this now.

I know her story and where she comes from. Some people do merit respect.

>>>Seems to be some anger in your post, this is the place to vent it. I'm guessing you've been hurt by a bg. These things happen. Keep looking for your dream Thai girl. GTG/BTG/BG/GBG/BBG, or any other connotation you can think of. The right girl is out there for you somewhere. Patience my man, patience! <<<

No anger here, just amazed, and no I've never been hurt by a bar girl, or any other girl for that matter yet.

Archived