Alternatives to teaching English

Fidel

Thanks guys,

Some helpful replies.... I'll keep it all in mind. I reckon though that I'll make the move and just go and do my masters in development studies.... what do you think? I'm gonna go and teach in Taiwan for 6 months after the contract runs out here in March and use that cash to at least partly fund my studies.

I don't want to end up without options here in 3-4 years, as much as I love the place!

Cheers again and I'd welcome more input. By the way, I'm not from the US, I'm a Paddy..... not that it makes much difference!

Hola!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO:

If someone is at the very beginning or at the very end of his career, then it is ok to go los and thinking of this as a "sabbatical". When in the middle of the career (may be 35 - 45 yrs.), I would only do it, if this is part of the career-plan or if someone has already enough money to stop working at all ("follow your profession, don't follow your dick"). A fulfilling job, being successful, obtaining acceptance and making good/ reasonable money is very satisfactory.

But as said before, this is just my opinion. Others may vary.

• 2 months later...

I think the most lucrative LOS job not requiring political connections would be the guy who opens hotel safes for guests who've lost the key! wink.gif Name your own price there.

On a more serious note, this post hits home a bit. I used proceeds from a company voluntary buyout to fund what was to be a year of travel at the career-sensitive age of 33. Well, the year turned into 6+ and I'm still bouncing between Asia and the U.S.

It's probably a terrible career move, and the finances are problematic, but you could say I'm too hooked. Time in the U.S. seems too joyless compared to LOS. My self-employment income right now is like a job without benefits at $7/hr year-round EXCEPT I can do about 4 months/year in LOS if I really economize. But there are big holes with retirement savings, medical, etc., that would need to get plugged if I were to grow everything into a long-term proposition.

All the travel to so many countries has been so great that it's hard to imagine ever regretting it. Going for a well-compensated career and early retirement is one of those nagging what-ifs, but I see too few people in the LOS who've pulled it off at a relatively early age. Maybe the workaholism in the US and the tendency of expenses to follow income make for a spiral that's hard to escape.

OTOH, it's gotta be hard to work for 1/3 the salary in Thailand if you're in a well-compensated area, as opposed to teaching.

Archived