Alternatives to teaching English

Fidel

how about getting a freelance job helping bargirls in internet cafes with composing love lyrics in their emails to their various marks in the west?

- there seem to be a fair number of such semi-pro Thai girls working such a role but i'm sure that as a Paddy with a superior command of English and understanding of what Western guys want to hear in their emails, it wouldn't take you long to carve out a niche market for yourself - you coulld charge an hourly or per email rate for steady income and also impose say perhaps a 10% tariff on all funds that u help the girlies extract for the various sick buffaloes you write of

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heheheh...good point. I see the girls laboring over those e-mails quite a bit during time they COULD be spending trolling for additional money-sending farangs. You could make the point that a well-written letter can pay for your fees and then some, but then Thais aren't always good at thinking more than one step ahead like that. (After all, they've still got those one-trip Pizza Hut salad bars, a system that would have been junked long ago in the U.S. given the embarrassing dysfunctionalities.)

"you coulld charge an hourly or per email rate for steady income and also impose say perhaps a 10% tariff on all funds that u help the girlies extract for the various sick buffaloes you write of"

An entertaining book titled "The Scribe" by David Young portrays a farang doing just this. A very interesting and surprising ending to the story.

How about Subeditor or Copyeditor for a newspaper? The "Bangkok Post" requires a minimum of 2 years' experience, but "The Nation" is willing to try people out without experience. There is an editing test, though, and it's harder than people think. Most native-English speakers, even ex-English teachers, do not do well on it. There's a hiring freeze on at the moment, too, and I know 2 farangs personally who very probably could have gotten a job there in the past year if not for the freeze.

Archived