reinterating the obvious

trotsky2

even the good old goethe renounced the "sturm und drang" period in his older days.

not long ago i had to take care of a young german suffering his emotional sturm und drang period here in thailand. fortunately he wisened up rather fast and returned to university.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1)I just learnt from a buddy in pattaya that a friend of his just commited suicide. he had been with this girl for quite a while, but came back from his last trip home and his house (in her name of course) was barred from him by her thai husband and his buddies. i think he lingered on in town and finally took his own life.

2)Goethe was an old man, but ROMANTISM was in full gear by then. the STURM and DRang was indeed a period in art that preceded the Romantic period by a couple decades.

It is certainly true that making broad generalizations can be problematic since time and time again they are disproved by a person who shows the opposite behavior of the generalization. However, I will still stand on the point that most girls in the bar scene are there to earn as much baht as possible. I will further stand on the belief that the majority of them have no qualms about being deceitful if it means more baht in their fist. It is only logical for them to due this. I am not sure about that last statement now. Have I equated logic with a Thai. No hard feelings just a joke. Back to the point. Since the most important value to Thais are their family and the value of a stranger is virtually non-existant, it is no wonder that foreign tourists are being mugged by the boat load. You will find a few girls who behave differently but the majority act under the values their culture engrained in them at a young age. Look at how Thais treat each other in a general public setting. It is extremely impersonal and politeness is set aside by most. Why? Because strangers don't fit into the value structure. The family and friends are the only ones who deserve and get respect. Anyone outside these circles is irrelevent. If a Thai stranger is deemed unworthy of respect then just think where the falang stranger fits in.

I think you are wrong man.

The GF experience is definately still available and a better alternative to just playing the ST/BJ bars.

It is a little hard to find a 'good fit', and probably explains why many men go back to last years experience, despite the intervening 12 months and a hundred falangs.

I seem to hit off the GF experience pretty easily in Pattaya, but I end up somewhere in between as my own restlessness often intervenes after 7-10 days. I can often go through 3/4 mis-hits first too. A hint might be that my keepers are never from GG bars. I think some of the better experiences came from recommendations of falang bar owners for their own staff.

Although I am not so naive to think there is not any deception even in these relationships, there always will be.

I agree totally with you, but it could be that guys talk about the scene as they know it in BKK, and have no idea how you can really eschew STs or one night stands and really lay back and hang out with a girl as a companion, with very little presuure about the money. Those of us who know that Pattaya is not just sex-shopping in bars, discos and gogos have mostly very happy recollections of the women we met, and, I repeat, this has very little to do with sex. Nice to have you on the board.

I will further stand on the belief that the majority of them have no qualms about being deceitful if it means more baht in their fist. It is only logical for them to due this. I am not sure about that last statement now

------------------------------

I think you have a limited experience of girls you met in the scene, but also, it could have to do with BKK. I can assure you that a lot of girls just do OK, and are not into having too many partners or too many BFs. My times in Pattaya are usually spent around girls that i get to know well enough, not because i shag them but because they are the friends of my GF at the time. I can relate to the type of greed you talk about, but not as spread out as you think. Tourists mugged? What the hell are you talking about? these incidenst are very few and far between, and most do invilve a skilled "kamoy" , but no physical aggression. thai in public? what public space? How many thai social settings do you know? Did you ever think that the ways thais deal with each other may have to do with their own values, and not western ones. You may not be absolutely wrong, but the negative slant you put on your comments is a bit superficial and as seen from the outside.

>>>it is no wonder that foreign tourists are being mugged by the boat load<<<

>>>Look at how Thais treat each other in a general public setting. It is extremely impersonal and politeness is set aside by most. Why? Because strangers don't fit into the value structure. The family and friends are the only ones who deserve and get respect. Anyone outside these circles is irrelevent. If a Thai stranger is deemed unworthy of respect then just think where the falang stranger fits in<<<

I think Trotsky2 goes a bit overboard here. From this post you get the impression that Thailand is a dangerous place for tourists. That is most certainly not the case. The number of foreigners getting into trouble because of Thais is very small indeed. Thailand is a must safer place than most destinatins in the west.

In Bangkok you may find that many Thais are indifferent to strangers. However, that will apply to most big cities around the world. nothing to do with Thai values etc. Outside of Bangkok this is most certainly not the case. Of course you'll find Thais preying on rich tourists, but in which tourist country do you not.

Thai are masters, when it comes to respect and politeness towards strangers. It may be all from the outside only, but it is the one thing most tourists like so much about Thailand.

Trotsky should get some more exposure to Thailand and the vlaues of its people. Perhaps then he'll find that you can definetely be accepted and fit in.

Drawing conclusions about Thai people from experiences in the prostitution scene is wrong. Saying that family is all what matters to Thai is not true at all.

I have good friends in Thailand who I know I can trust. The friendship is not based on money. I am sure several other posters have experienced the same.

Archived