Vehicle document requirements to drive in Thailand

Palatkik

I generally leave all this to my better half, but was just curious about exactly what is needed and if I have forgotten anything ? I have included rough prices for what it costs for a 1.6L 4door family car. I have often wondered what item 4/ is all about. Something to do with insurance I believe- can anyone add anything?

1/ Driving license

2/ Vehicle log book

3/ Road tax ~1600B/yr

4 /PorLorBor ~860B/yr

5/ Full third party car insurance ~16000B/yr

Palatkik said:

I have often wondered what item 4/ is all about. Something to do with insurance I believe- can anyone add anything?

Por lor bor or Por Ror Bor is a document issued by your auto insurance company that states your insurance meets the basic requirements of the law. Por Lor Bor refers to the statute or law that shows the requirements. Or at least that is what I am told...

Re: the 2-100 baht notes-- probably the most important documents you need to carry in your car when you drive.

#4 is just the compulsory third party insurance and will vary a bit depending on engine size. Re the 100 baht to the police, I used to pay it over but now prefer to argue the point if I am in the right.. They always let me go, I know its a pittance but the only way to eliminate corruption is to refuse to take part in it. I prefer to take a regular ticket than part over to the "highway robbers"

I may be wrong, but #5 is only compulsory if the car is in your name. If it is in the Mrs's then you only need#4. Mind you, if it is not compulsory it is certainly necessary.

Archived