US visa for Thai girlfriend

zigfreed

What is the amount of time in advance one should start the paperwork for a K1?

For instance, if I'm interested in having her come to the states by next Aug (2003) ?

Now would be too early? Wait until 2003?

thanks..

troydeere

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Believe most people take 4 or 5 months in this process but you probably can delay it up to a year by not returning all the paperwork until later. I would call or email the US Consulate as this is a valid question and they should be able to answer you. It also shows a longer term relationship which is an important consideration.

The timeline for starting on the K-1 is somewhat tricky. What I mean is that it is possible to get through the process in as little as 3-4 months or it could take as long as 6 months, maybe more. The key is where you live in the US. Each state is served by a specific INS regional service center and the processing times at those centers varies greatly. Example: I went through the Texas SC and received approval in 21 days. Friends have had to go through the Nebraska SC and it took one guy 110 days to get approved. Quite a difference!My suggestion is to gather all the relevant information, and it does take some time to do, and go ahead and submit the petition. Even if it was approved in record time, doubtful due to 9/11, the visa your GF is finally issued by the embassy in Bangkok has a shelf life of I believe 6 months. What that means is even if she were issued the visa say in May, she would have until sometime in November to leave Thailand. That would fit your August time frame. I suggest you go to Google and do a search for the visa/marriage discussion group and you will usually find a post by one of the immigration attorneys that will link you to their site. They usually have the current processing times for all the different petitions filed at all the INS Regional SCs. Look for I-129F and you'll find the current processing times for the K-1. If you need any other infomation, please ask, someone here will be glad to try to help. The whole process is somewhat straight forward, but gathering the information and trying to determine what the INS actually wants can be a little frustrating at times. HSTEACH

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info guys.

I have searched on Google as you suggested, and have called the 800 number to request the K1 visa application forms.

Now my next question.. And correct me if I am wrong...

As I understand it:

I file here in the U.S. the I-129F which will take from 1-3 months to approve.

After that's approved, my gf in Thailand has 4 months to obtain the K1 in Thailand.

When she has that approved, as well as mine, then her K1 is good for 6 months? How long is mine good for?

Thanks in advance...

troydeere

"How long is mine good for? "

Your what?

The K1 visa issued to your GF must be used (in other words, she must enter US) within 6 months. Once she enters the US, she will be allowed to stay 90 days. Before that date, you must marry her and apply for change of status or send her back.

TH

My K1.

After it gets approved, how long is it good for?

I know that she has 6 months, and I know that you have to marry in 90 days.

Im trying to get a timeline. I dont want to get things going too soon or too late.

Thats why Im asking does the K1 that I get approved have an expiration? (in other words.. after it gets approved, when should I have her start the K1 process in Thailand?

troydeere

Archived