US visa for Thai girlfriend

zigfreed

My girlfriend wants to come to the US and stay with me for a while. She lives at home and doesn't work. Her chances of getting a US visa are extremely low.

Have any of you American guys been able to help your Thai girlfriends obtain a US tourist visa?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only been through the K-1 route, not the B2 visitor visa, so I don't have actual experience with a B2. I CAN tell you if she is as you have described, unemployed, she will NOT get one. Period. Sorry, but "approved" applications for B2s in Thailand are very small. She must show compelling evidence she will return to Thailand, ie, in the form of job, wealth, property, etc. The only way to get her here would be a K-1, K-3, or the old I-130. All of those involve marriage. Sorry to disappoint you, but that's the way the Dept of State works in Thailand. HSTEACH

Zig,

I think HST's analysis of your situation is correct. It's usually not a problem for an ex-pat's girlfriend to get a visa to visit the US on a trip with her boyfriend or husband, but with you living in the US and her having no acceptable ties to Thailand she's out of luck.

Regards, JEff

Although you are probably right about the chance of her getting a tourist visa, being unemployed would only be one factor in the mix and I am sure that many unemployed sons and daughters do get approval of tourist visas if other factors point to their return to Thailand. We should not assume too much.

I have heard of guys explaining to INS that the reason for the visit is to see if she will like it here, as you are thinking of marrage, and many Thai women don't like it here. You are merely looking for a way to avoid future complications if you go with the Marrage visa and it doesn't work out... Try it, you never know...

OH... If you suggested to the INS, really the consular section of the DOS, you would like to see if your GF likes the US before committing to a marriage visa, they would suggest the K-1. That gives you and her up to 90 days before you marry to decide if she liked it or not. If she didn't, she would return to LOS without any problems. They would also be concerned, if you used the like/not like issue, that if she were issued a B2, she might decide to get married in the US while visiting on that B2. That is a big no-no in the eyes of the INS.

OH,

"I have heard of guys explaining to INS that the reason for the visit is to see if she will like it here, as you are thinking of marrage, and many Thai women don't like it here. You are merely looking for a way to avoid future complications if you go with the Marrage visa and it doesn't work out... "

How many girls have you heard recieved B2 visas after their boyfriends presented such an explanation?

Regards, JEff

Only 2 but the circumstances were maybe different then. Basically, when she went for the interview, he went and explained the situation to them (in this case, the man was a ferquent travelor to Thailand, owned a condo there). The second case (different guy) also went to the interview and explained that he didn't want to jepardize the chances of getting a 2nd "fiance Visa" (I assume a B2) again if this marrage didn't work out. I think about a week or so ago, there was a post from a guy who got his GF a visa, she had no job, no money, etc... A lot has changed in the last year, visa issue wise (so they say), the cases I am speaking of was maybe 2-3 years back. Like I said, the consenes is, she won't get a visa anyway, so I just mentioned them as a different approach. Most likely won't work, but what have you got to lose?

• 2 weeks later...

Zigfreed-

The advice so far is pretty accurate with the exception of what Old Hippie suggested. I know his information was second hand, but do not mention anything about possible marriage. One month ago a friend was coming through customs with his girlfriend. She had a tourist visa (she had been to the US before). When the customs agent found out they were considering marriage they sent her back to Thailand. As has been said, they want to be sure the girl will return to Thailand. If they got married it is doubtful she would return. I am attempting to help a friend obtain a tourist visa to visit me. She was denied because they were not certain she would return to thailand. I called the embassy and spoke to the interviewing person. They really wanted a high paying job for her to return to. Land did not help very much. I asked about money in the bank. I was told that 1 million Baht deposited 5 years ago would get her the visa. I asked about 1 million baht deposited tomrrow and was told no, but a year from tommorow she would probably get the visa. I asked about 6 months and was told to wait a year. I hope this helps. Why don't you go the K-1 route? She can stay with you for 90 days. You can then let her go back to Thailand. No marriage required. You could still get a K-1 later for her or someone else. I have not given up on getting a tourist visa for my friend. I have a new plan. If it works I will let you know.

Archived