Himali Cha Cha

We'll be making our first visit to Himali Cha Cha (the original one on Charoen Krung Road) soon. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to order? (That's an Indian-food restaurant to those who are wondering.)

I never ate there, but usually, I order Bagan Bharta (eggplant curry) and special rice (rice, saffron, slivered almonds amd raisons onion...) Samosas and rice. As these are my favorites. If they are good, then I try something else the next time. I assume this is a place of some notority? let me know how it is, as I like Indian food, and would be interested in it.

Try:

Rogan Josh - Mutton curry

Chicken Korma

and of course the Dal - Lentils, whichever way you like them!

My last 2 visits to Himali Cha Cha were disappointing - they do not prepare each serving from scratch but have batches of the various basic "curries" etc., made up in advance and just add the Mutton, Chicken etc. when you order. Prices are quite cheap though.

Actually if you are going all the way to New Road to eat Indian food I would more strongly suggest you try Cafe India - opposite the Trocadero Hotel on Surawong, just before New Road. Established for more than 30 years - although originally it was in Oriental Avenue.

If you REALLY want to push the boat out Rang Mahal, on top of the Rembrandt Hotel on Soi 18 has probably some of the best Indian food in Bangkok, but at Baht 250 - 400 per dish it can work out to be very expensive!

We did Himali Cha Cha. The food was good, the prices reasonable. Old Hippie, I could not remember at the time what you suggested ordering, but we had a very decent Tandoori chicken with mint sauce, an excellent Kashmiri fish curry, and some good nan. All very good, and I can recommend the place.

However, I am at a disadvantage, in that I am forever comparing Tandoori chicken with that which we ate at The Third Eye Restaurant in Kathmandu, Nepal. OH, have you eaten there before? It's in Thamel District. That is hands down absolutely the BEST Tandoori chicken that I have ever had. All else pales in comparison, so I am never quite satisfied with other places' Tandoori chicken as a result. It could be that it tasted so good because we'd eaten it at the end of a long, hard ride from Gurkha, but Man! That was good.

Anyway, check out Himali Cha Cha.

Siam Sam,

Yes!! I ate at the Third Eye in Khatmandu! It is great to say the least! I had the Nepali combination! 4 meat/vegatable dishes, sampler of appetizers, rice (all served on a big steel tray!) and dessert! as well as an assortment of breads! I loved that place. I also loved KC's off the main street in Tamel as well. Lemon grass tea was a unique treat!! and they made a decent pizza as well. Third eye was my last night in KTM before heading back to BKK! I'll definitely give this place a try!

Archived