Sandra Gregory - Forget You Had a Daughter

I saw this book today for the first time in Bangkok. It was on sale at the Language Media bookshop in Siam Square for 595 baht.

For those who aren't sure, it's the story of English teacher Sandra Gregory, who was banged up for 25 years in a Bangkok prison for smuggling heroin (she ended up doing about 4 years here and another two in England before recieving a royal pardon)

It's very similar in looks to the Warren Fellows 'Damage Done' book - nice big letters - you could probably knock it off in two hours on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

I skipped through a few pages, and it strikes me as being a far better read than the Fellows book, which was very sensational. The Gregory book looks a lot more honest and heartwarming. It also sounds as if she did a lot for her fellow prisoners while she was in there. Anyone read it yet, and how does it really compare with the Fellows book?

Phil

I haven't read the book but i remember the case very well.

Sandra Gregory popped up on UK daytime TV last week (not that i regularly watch the Richard and Judy Show...it was just on in the room, honest) and you're right, she struck me as having some integrity. She did the crime and she did the time without expecting pity. It was fascinating to see her eyes light up when she talked about what an absolute pleasure it was to sit a UK prison cell after she'd been repatriated. She even developed some resentment to her fellow prisoners in the UK who thought the prison regime was tough here.

These days she's back in the UK studying for a degree .

Archived