Angeles city

A little off topic,but has anybody been to Angeles city in the Philippines?.What is it like, is it easy to get to from Manila,what is the bar scene like compared to Thailand and what are prices like does it have a lot of scams there.

Cheers

An annoying place the PI, bad attitudes and constant scams from everyone! The place and the girls are not as clean as Thailand. In fairness, I have to say I have not been there for over 8 tears so it may have changed, however, I doubt the personality traits of the people have.

There a good column, Harry the horse at http://www.go2phil.com on Angeles. The scams have got worse if anything but mostly by the guys hanging around the scene rather than directly by the gals. Recent farang murder in Makati in Manila, where I usually stay, kinda put me off the PI. Angeles has some nice women in the bars if you are into for long time sex. Cheaper (arguably better) sex than Bangkok or Pattaya but that is the only reason to go there. If you live in Thailand, not a bad idea to go to Angeles, find a decent babe and bring her back to Thailand with you (the good girls are attitude free), as they can get two month tourist visa without much hassle.

I was a regular visitor to Angeles City before I switched to Thailand. Some of my buddies have done the same thing but in fairness we all still have a soft spot for Angeles City. All the babes speak English and the drinks and bar fines are cheap.

You can still get a decent bar fine there even though you have to prepay in the gogos. The place itself is never really busy nowadays but that is part of its charm.

I wouldn't wander around The Philippines too much but you are among a large contingent of expats in AC. so you are not too bad off there. It?s pleasant to be able to make friends with some of the local expats.

You can get the Swagman bus to pick you up from Manila Airport and take you directly to AC via a stop off in Ermita in Manila. AC is about 2 and half hours from Manila. Don?t take any public transport.

Give it a go and see what you think.

Been going there periodically since base closed; always had fun time; except for sanuk its quite a hell hole; can not imagine how large group of military retirees can live there.ONE GREAT THING in Angeles is the Clark economic zone; GREAT PRICES on about every thing; especially if you smoke; 90 cents a package; incredably cheap liquor prices from Jack Danilds to Drysack;10% discount if you use peso.

Soibob;

You wrote: "can not imagine how large group of military retirees can live there."

The answer is simple. The dollar goes a long way there. My Father in Law is a Regional Trial Court Judge in Mindanao. He makes 25,000 Pisos a month (about $500 US) and lives reasonably well. My retirement income (not all military) is six times his. That would put me in the upper 10% of the country incomewise.

Medical care, dental care, food and housing is relatively inexpensive by our standards. The last time I had dental work done there it cost me 12,000 Pisos (for three of us) and my insurance company paid every bit of it. The same work would have cost about $1000 in the US.

The weather is decent (I can say that since I live in Waco, Texas. We go to the Philippines in the summer to cool off!!!!!!) Most of the Filipinos like Americans. In fact, I don't think that there is a Filipino family that doesn't have at least one sister, brother, uncle, aunt, cousin, etc., in the US.

Granted, you can get into serious trouble in the Philippines, but if you follow the Old Sarges Rules, you won't get into trouble (Rule #1: Don't go looking for trouble because you sure as hell will find it!).

Me, I just really enjoy the people.

Sarge

Sage, when I said I wondered how they could live there as I was referring only to A.C. not the P.I. in general. IMHO A.C. is just one dusty hell hole with absolutely nothing to do but screw and kill cockroaches)not all bad :>) There are much nicer and just as cheap places to live than A.C. After working in Manila for 30 months and living in Cebu City and Tagbilaran(ex wife from Bohol) I can say that an expat ain't gonna survive anywhere(even in the provinces on $500 a month);Locals can because they almost always have a family support system, can live w/o ac,eat local food(dried fish and rice)and used of no or limited plumbing;Infact your $3000 per month may put you in the upper 10% of the P.I. economy it would not get you far in Manila if you wanted western style accomodations and western food; Hey dental care in P.I. is cheap and excellent(from my experience anyway)but medical care is another story ESPECIALLY outside of Manila(St. Lukes)and Cebu City(Doctors Hospital); Party on Sarge. WAR THAILAND!WAR SINGHA!WAR THERMAE

Archived