what's up with penhball (?) - cambodia board

so i neglected to visit the board 1 DAY... come back and

it's no longer free(!)

i KNEW i should have saved all those articles. was there

any notice given, or did they just up and decide to screw everyone(?)

i don't mind paying for the board - but have been burnt before because no-one else signs up. nanaplaza has a good amount of usefull info inside. however when i last left penhball none of the archives were even up -

so if i paid and no-one is posting and there's no archives.... ackkk..

plus - it's just plain rude to not give warning... a lot of people spent a lot of time answering questions, building friendships, and making it a nice board to come home and jump on the computer to view - alas....

anyone know what's up(?)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe i'm an idiot -

but when i use the link from my favorites i get the usual log in screen - my login doesn't work...

then i go to the home page:

http://www.penhball.com/

and find the link to the message board and it doesn't work.

there is a message saying that the 'trial memberships' for the board have been discontinued and payment information is given below.

http://www.penhball.com/html/member_area.html

(if it's not me, then maybe you're viewing cached pages)

if it is me feel free to scold me... anyone else getting the same thing(?)

thanks(!)

sorry guy - but it MUST be cached - i just tried the link again and this is what i get -

The free trial memberships have been discontinued and membership to the member area/message board is by paid subscription only. This is where you will find the most comprehensive and up-to-date information on the P4P scene in both Cambodia and Vietnam updated daily. Just follow these easy instructions to sign up. All credit card orders are processed by SafShop over a secure Internet connection and your information will remain confidential and never be divulged. To order, click on one of the subscription links below.

Easy and secure instructions

1. Enter your e-mail address

2. Create your user ID and password. Your user ID will also be your handle on the message board so if you have a handle already, it would be best to use it.

3. Fill out the credit card form

4. Press submit only once, be patient it takes a couple of minutes to process.

By completing this form you are certifying that you are of legal age and are not bound by any laws or restrictions for accessing adult-oriented material imposed by your government or state. It will take up to two hours before your user name/password combination is operational and you will be able to access the member area.

One Year Membership $39.95

Three Month Membership $14.95

If you have any questions or problems signing up, contact me at lucky3@pobox.com

The URL to the members area is www.penhball.com/cgi-bin/mem/index.pl

>anyone know what's up(?)

I joined on July 31st and saw a message from "lucky" informing about the upcoming switch to a pay site mode of operation. Apparently past 'contributors' would be getting a free pass by contacting lucky.

The material I had time to look at did not seem to make signing up worth its while...

Wagner

I tried it and got "The free trial memberships have been discontinued and membership to the member area/message board is by paid subscription only. This is where you will find the most comprehensive and up-to-date information on the P4P scene in both Cambodia and Vietnam updated daily. Just follow these easy instructions to sign up. All credit card orders are processed by etc etc"

But I am not a member, maybe it's a cookie thing.

Lucky has turmed it into a pay site. Previous posters have free membership. Lurkers have not. It's a great site. I have contributed a little over the time and fortunately my login still works.

I've made a copy and paste of Lucky's post dated july 31:

>>>You know the old saying in life, only one thing is for certain and that?s change and I?m afraid that is true here at Penhball also. Our last bandwidth catastrophe made me realize that some things were going to have to change here at Penhball if we want to grow and survive. Penhball has been the victim of its own success, when I first started it up ten months ago we were lucky to have 200 visitors a day and 8,000 hits and now 1,200 visitors a day and 30,000 hits is the average. While all this interest in the site is great, keeping a site like Penhball going costs money and the more popular the site, the more it costs to keep it going. I started this board as a hobby for some of us who love the people, culture, and of course the girls of Cambodia to exchange information and it has succeeded beyond my wildest expectations.

Now the good news, we aren?t going to restrict the number of photos per post, I?m planning on putting the whole site on a dedicated server with unlimited bandwidth, and I?m going to have a mirror site for safety sake. Also we will be able to archive all of the member photos, something that we didn?t have the space to do in the past. All of this costs money so to come up with the funding I?m going to make Penhball a pay site. The good news is, only the people who aren?t contributors are the ones that are going to pay to join, anyone who has contributed, not just articles and pics but anything at all in the last two months is going to get a free subscription for a year. At the end of a year we will look at things again but it is my intention to keep the site free for contributors. I also plan on having some photo and trip report contests with cash prizes to reward people who take the time to post photos and write up trip reports, I?ve seen some here on Penhball that are as good as anywhere, maybe better.

The go-live date for the pay site is in three days and while I expect everything to come off as smooth as possible, expect a couple of glitches. If you are a contributor and your password and user name won?t work, drop me an e-mail. I think that I have gotten everyone but I might have overlooked one of two

In the long run I think that this will be a great opportunity for all of us to turn Penhball into one of the best adult travel sites around. Thanks again to all of you contributors, you guys are the ones who made the site so popular to begin with.<<<

Yeah, I still have access to the site too. I have been an infrequent poster there recently and Lucky has given a free one year membership to anyone who has been posting recently. It is a very busy site with a lot of regulars posting to each other. It is a great source of info for Cambodia and now also Vietnam.

Lucky has had to charge to get access to new bandwith just as Nanplaza has had to do............

Uniformguy

Archived