How safe are food stalls?

From todays BK post,

Toxic condiments found in food at stalls

Apiradee Treerutkuarkul

Crushed peanuts and dried chilli used by one in every five foodstalls on Bangkok streets are contaminated by cancer-causing aflatoxin, a survey by the city's Health Department has found.

``Consumers should avoid putting peanuts and chilli condiments in noodle soup as it can cause liver cancer,'' said health chief Kris Hirunras yesterday.

The report was revealed after the city's food-testing team randomly surveyed the quality of food sold by 800 vendors in Bangkok's 50 districts this year. One in five of them, mostly noodle stalls, have peanuts and chilli contaminated with excessive aflatoxin, which can cause liver cancer, he said.

The food-testing team also found borax contamination in minced pork, sausages and tabtim krob _ a popular Thai sweet made from water chestnut and coloured tapioca flour served with coconut milk _ while preservatives were found in preserved fruits. The survey also detected formalin contamination in squid, he said.

All these toxic substances could cause cancer if frequently consumed, he said.

Mr Kris said the department warned rogue sellers to improve their food quality otherwise they could face a 20,000-baht fine and a six-month jail term.

Chitra Settaudom, director of Food and Drug Administration's food control division, said the FDA only allowed 20 microgrammes of aflatoxin per one kilogramme of peanuts and chilli.

Colouring substances, formalin and preservative could cause diarrhoea and lead to liver and kidney problems

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:blue]"Stay 100% away from seafood, especially shrimp.. "color=blue>

I must be a lucky guy because in 5 years I never had any problem with with food stalls and I am a big fan of seafood. I must admit that I have a good teacher on street food and to this day she have 100% rate about food safety on the street. laugh.gif

Actually the few people I have known who have had problems have got them from eating at swanky restaurants.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of weeks ago(the day of my missendevour)we were sitting in the Soi 7 foodcourt when it was lashing down with rain and a fucking great rat ran out from the road and straight under the counter.I assume its hole got flooded out,or was it going home???????????????????

Archived