thai whiskey

paddyboy

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ingredient most often suspected to cause the nasty Thai beer hangovers is Formaldehyde. There is much debate as to whether the beer contains any.

This link is to a report on brewing and a problem known a "haze."

Formaldehyde in beer

"Formaldehyde has been used in the mash to remove anthocyanogens (proanthocyanidins). Addition of 1,000 ppm (referred to the malt) of formaldehyde reduced anthocyanogens by 84.8%. This produced a 5 fold increase in colloidal stability. Residual formaldehyde was less than 0.2ppm after use of 350 ppm in mashing. "

Not every brewery uses formaldehyde in the mash, and some use it for sanitizing the bottles. My theory is that Singha does in fact contain more than an average amount of formaldehyde. The US version tastes very different, much cleaner, and doesn't cause the same hangover.

To reply to the original question, I have heard that either the whisky (or rum, whatever you want to call the stuff) or a drink called shark (= red bull) has some kind of anphedimine (excuse the spelling) in it. Nowhere near as strong as speed etc, but a stimulant nonetheless. And the shark drink was something like 18 times the strength of red bull in the west. This could however all be piss talk. Alcohol is not a stimulant, it's a depressant.

• 2 weeks later...

My theory is that Singha does in fact contain more than an average amount of formaldehyde. The US version tastes very different, much cleaner, and doesn't cause the same hangover.

Beware, there are two versions of Singha on US market. The one marked as "beer" (lower left corner of the label, I think) is the amerikanized (read watered-down) version; the one marked as "Malt Liquor" tastes the same as the Thai original and has similar effect. I don't get any hangovers from it though, in the US or in Thailand.

"For all the guys who are having their doubts about Thai beer.

The best beer comes from Holland, it's called HEINEKEN."

Before you go proclaiming how the best beer only comes from Holland and therefore drink Heineken, you might want to read the label on your bottle in Thailand.

It's brewed by Thai Asia Pacific Brewery in, funnily enough, Thailand.

NEXT.................................

Archived