What was your scariest ride in Thailand?

Brink15

good question..

It was 4 years ago, after a long and qrueling 6 week business trip of asia, I decided I needed a break away from my business partner. He took off to phuket and myself to Ko samet, with a new found friend. So here I am in the minibus with 5 germans, an american and a few thais. All squished in with the luggage. The driver was driving like a maniac. I sort of peeped up in the back to slow down, but the driver choose to ignore it.

After about 20 mins of nodding off in the back seat, I heard this a load voice "WE ARE GOING TO DIE" in a german accent. AHHHH. I look up see we are heading towards the back of a transport truck at break neck speeds, bounce of the back of it, swirve across 4 lanes of highway traffic and end up in the mud on the side of the road. Everyone was alright adn the minivan was pretty beat up. After a 3 hour wait we were back on our way to ko samet.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok the scariest ride hey mmmmm.It was from Phuket to Bkk, a overnight run.Shit this driver thought he was going to be late for something,maybe he was.It was just high speed wrong side of the road over crests of hills and blind corners through the night.I had to go to sleep just to try and relieve the bloody terror.When I woke up which was just coming in to Bkk my mate was as white as a ghost,he just said I was lucky to have slept through,what he describes as a ride to hell.He didnt have as much sleeping potion(whiskey) as I did.This was 10 years ago.Ive traveled on buses lately and they were fine.

my first taxi ride in BKK we hit a motocyclist.. he was only bleeding a little & everyone left the scene within a few minutes.. welcome to Thailand!

The scariest SE Asian trip was the day I hired a guide & a 50cc Korean motobike & headed east from PP down the Mekong toward Vietnam.. reddirt roads & Khmer villages.. vividly memorable, but the only time I have been concerned about my actual survival.. my cameras ( S ) were worth several years wages to those villagers.. actually one lens was more than a years wages to a rice field worker..

I must have looked like a 'refrigerator white' kenmore appliance to those villagers

I came to realize I was in the Killing Fields & my disappeared ass represented a good life for a family of 5 for a long time!

Never been so glad to see black top in my life!

travelled from a town called seka(5 hours from nong khai,near the border with laos).

12 hours to BKK and with my girl and even though we got on at 07:00,the bus was packed and we hadf to share a seat,her sitting on my lap.

began to suffer the most terrific chest pains,travelling down the arm and all that.

sweating profusely and i was really worried and feared for my health.

after 8 hours and no rest stops we managed to get 2 seats together and i will never forget the look on her face as she worried about me.

not as much as i worried about myself though.

Brink15 - The trip to Ankgor was 3 years ago . But it was a carnival ride compared to your wife's bloody encounter ! Something like that can never be brought to terms by the poor woman . She will always experience some form of shock as long as she lives . Have you ever seen the film "The Fisher King"? Maybe the two of you could watch it together to see if she can relate to it ? It might be good therapy ? Lik

Lik,

Actually my wife is a die hard Buddhist. Everything to her is fate. It was fate that day that she didn't die. It's done, she's over it. She just doesn't want to talk about it too much.

She also grew up as a little kid listening to mortar rounds going off in the distance. And it was important to know where the minefields were.

It is all a matter of relativity. To her this was normal. It was all she knew.

About 6 months before I went to visit her family in Tapraya, the Khmer Rouge mortared the town square in Poipet killing about 60 people during a peace demonstration. It was a surrealistic trip to say the least.

Scariest ride ? May 2002, 8:30am, Motorbike ride fm Soi 8 to Jomtien Beach. Just passing a ?fork? and driving 80km/hr, guy noticed 20 baht bill on the road?..next 10 seconds reminded me a famous scene from MI2. With me hanging on the back rail and not dropping the speed whatsoever, he made 180 degree turn on the rear wheel (one way street by the way) run back, reached for the money, turned back again and just continue?..I had a half-empty scuba gear bag in my hand and managed to move my other hand from my back and give the man a hug. I am still alive, take baht taxi instead and never hugged a man since.

Leroy

Archived