What was your scariest ride in Thailand?

Brink15

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are obviously more than one. I remember one taxi that stopped for me on Soi 3, I wanted to go to Banglampu, but got out at Rama I because the guy was swerving across lanes and kept slowing to a stop and then accelerating.

At a gues he was in his late eighties.

Cheers

up the Latics

BB,

I knew someone would post something like this.

But you?

And the first reply?

Ah, man.

All right I'll get it started.

The scariest ride I had, was a mini-bus ride from Phuket to Penang for a visa run. Everything started out OK, but then as we passed Hat Yai things got interesting. The guy starts going faster and faster, passing 2, 3, 4 or more ten-wheeled trucks at a time. On top of this his timing didn't seem so great. At one point I seriously doubted we would make it as the driver swerved in front of a tour bus and seemed to go on two wheels. I noticed him drinking M-150, but I'm betting he had filled them himself with lao kao. Unlike most trips I had made, everyone was wide-awake, staring ahead with that deer in the headlights look.

We get to the border and go through the immigration point, normal passport stamps, nothing unusual. When we get to the first military check point we are told to turn down a dirt road. At the end of the road was a small building with a number of soldiers armed with M-16s. We were told to get out of the bus and bring or bags. The bus was thoroughly searched. One by one we were brought to a table where our bags were searched and we were interrogated as to our business in Malaysia. The whole thing lasted for about an hour. All I'm thinking about is that I hope none of the other passengers has brought any contraband or we're all in for a rough night.

I was never so happy to see Penang.

Scariest ride - Yes,that would the 15 minute motorcycle taxi ride from near the southern bus terminal to Morchit.The talents of this guy were wasted as a mere " Motorcy rap jang ",the speeds we reached on the clear straits would not have been out of place in the World Superbikes Championship.In additn the helmet I was given looked to be about 50 years old with a chin strap so loose it was impossible to wear.

Did you have any bags as well?

I remember a motorcycle ride from the bus stop in Chumpon to the pier with a huge backpack on my back and my loaded dive bag braced between myself and the driver. How the guy kept the front wheel on the pavement was beyond me.

In a well loaded pick-up truck going from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang in Laos. We were in a mountainous area with steep curving roads when the nearside front wheel broke off!

Fortunately we were travelling uphill when it happened. If the truck had been heading downhill I think we would have plummeted over the edge.

Had to wait three hours for a public bus.

Another nasty trip is the bus from Bangkok to Phuket. Close to Phuket the roads curve a lot with steep drops on one side of the road. Sometimes I looked out the side window and there was no road to see, just a straight drop down. The driver piled on the speed, but the other passengers just slept!

I was driving 4 Thai friends in a rented car from a trip to central Thailand. It was about 1am, on the expressway

somewhere near Don Muang. After several hours of night driving I was tired and sleepy, barely keeping

my eyes open. In spite of the late hour the traffic was still quite dense. I was doing about 110kph in the fast

(rightmost) lane when suddenly I saw headlights ahead of me. Luckily the middle lane on my left was free

and I managed to change the lane. A second later later this car in the right lane passed me - driving in the wrong

direction. I can't imagine how he/she was able to survive more than a few seconds in that traffic. Needless

to say, from then on I had no problems staying awake.

Hedonist,

"Another nasty trip is the bus from Bangkok to Phuket. Close to Phuket the roads curve a lot with steep drops on one side of the road. Sometimes I looked out the side window and there was no road to see, just a straight drop down."

------------------------------------

Yeah I've done that trip maybe a dozen times. When heading North it keeps me wide awake until I get through Phang-Nga.

Archived