Airline Ticket issue's

Hi Fella's,

I'm Hoping some of you can maybe offer some advice re a flight ticket problem i may or may not have!

I fly out to Los on the 3rd September with Emirate Airlines from the UK.

My return date on the ticket is for 21st December.

I fully realise that to Enter Thailand without a visa is for a period of 29 days max.

I am not too concerned about Immigration checking my return ticket as this has never happened in the past, and i know of many friends that have entered the kingdom with a retrun date far in excess of the 29 day limit.

My Major concern is the check in procedure at the Emirate Airlines check in desk.

Has anyone any idea if Emirate airlines check the return date of the ticket whn checking in for the outward Journey?

Any one able to offer any advice or experiences with this Airline please?? .

Regards

Dave

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ultraviolet.

Which tourist visa would be required for this amount of time just less than 4 months? that wouldmake the Visa runs as minimal as possible?

Thanks

Dave

I know that you requested information for one airline, and don't mean to be sarcastic, but suspect it may not be known. Who can say if the person you process with will check the return date of your ticket on one day in the future? Or even what their policy will be then. You have plenty of time to obtain a tourist visa and as long as they see a visa in your passport you are not likely to have any problem with the return being more than 30 days from entry. It really does not cost you that much to be safe.

Hi Guys thanks for the info.

Lopburi3 I don't think for one minute you are being sarcastic!

You make a very valid point re the visa.

I didn't realise i could get something like that processed so quickly in the UK, and was concerend about sending my passport away to the Thai Consulate In Hull les than 3 weeks before i leave for LOS.

I take your point regarding asking about specific airlines checkin procedures, it was just a shot in the dark i guess.

Anyway i feel much happier now as it seems i can obtain the correct Visa in time making everything above board and legal.

I wasn't particularly looking forward to turning up at the checkin desk praying they didn't look at the return date on my ticket! Then going through the same again with Thai immigration!!

I will give The consulate in Hull a call 1st thing monday morning

Thanks Guys

Your help & advice very warmly appreciated!

Regards

Dave

Should not be any problem. The airline really only cares that you have a return or ongoing ticket so they don't get stuck giving you a free ride back if you are refused entry.Should they question anything, just tell them you are taking the Orient Express down to Singapore, travelling about by local trains etc. etc.

The other posters are quite correct about getting a proper visa though, just follow their advice.

In May a mate of mine flew Emirates from LOS to UK and when queuing at the check in desk in UK was asked by an Emirates staff to check his ticket and then passport for a Thai visa.

As he was on the return portion back to LOS they would not allow him to check in as he did not have a return ticket out.

Explanations that the Thai Immigration never check fell on deaf ears as they reckon the airline gets fined if someone turns up without a return ticket.

It turned out OK as he was only staying a few days before flying out again and had his onward tickets with him. But if he hadn't?

He also reports not having a problem on any other airline except Emirates.

(E! You really must stop lurking and log in sometime!!)

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem with swiss air. I had a return ticket with a return date set 5 weeks later. Staff knew well that my tourist visa was only valid for 30 days. I had to convince them of the possibility to renew my visa at Immigration office in BKK before he wanted to check me in!

Cheers,

soongmak

If you're at the airport and run into a problem during check-in regarding a one way ticket to, or lack of proper visa for LOS, be ready with a credit card and buy a full fare, refundable, one way ticket on any airline out of LOS to a destination such as Singapore for example. Be sure to arrive at the airport well in advance of your departure if you think there may be a problem.

While I don't condone this type of thing sometimes airlines are very inflexible on check-in and one must be creative. But in all fairness be sure to cancel ASAP any reservations for flights you don't intend to board.

Archived