Airline Ticket issue's

Gee, given your theory, wouldn't it make more sense to buy a refundable round trip ticket in advance of any problems and cancel the return upon arrival? I'm sure if you tried to purchase a refundable round trip ticket for departure the same day you desired to leave, that you would be raped on the price.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A separate, one way, fully refundable ticket would just be a fall back position if caught in an awkward situation on departure. To purchase a fully refundable roundtrip ticket in advance knowing you will not use the return segment would indeed be expensive.

bahnawk,

"be ready with a credit card and buy a full fare, refundable, one way ticket on any airline out of LOS to a destination such as Singapore for example"

OK, according to your theory, I should be able to buy a one way ticket, no refunds, best discount, and then buy a refundable one way return on the day of departure and still beat the best price I could find for a refundable round trip several weeks or more before departure. Yes?

I just did a search on Travelocity.com and a refundable roundtrip ticket purchased a month in advance of departure is $925.00. A one-way ticket purchased given the same time frame is $608.70. The refundable one way return purchased for the same week is $911.30. That adds up to $1,520.00.

Please explain to me how this is a better deal, given that both are supposedly refundable.

Brink,

The one way fully refundable ticket out of LOS I'm referring to is one you will never use but will refund immediately after arriving in LOS. This method should be used under certain circumstances only.

There are reasons that some might need to do this. Most discounted tickets are only good for a six month stay. Or maybe there is not enough time to get the appropriate visa from your local Thai Consulate. Or you only need a one way ticket to LOS because tickets to other destinations are cheaper to purchase in BKK than your home country. A more complex situation applies to my family so on occasion I need to use this method.

Brink asks:

?I just did a search on Travelocity.com and a refundable roundtrip ticket purchased a month in advance of departure is $925.00. A one-way ticket purchased given the same time frame is $608.70. The refundable one way return purchased for the same week is $911.30. That adds up to $1,520.00.

Please explain to me how this is a better deal, given that both are supposedly refundable.?

Brink,

The refundable $925 RT ticket would only be fully refundable if you did not use it for travel. If you used it to get to LOS but don't need the return flight I'm sure they will not refund half the value, if they refund at least $325 then that would be OK but I doubt they would refund much if any.

Using this scenario if you only require a OW ticket for whatever reason you would be better off to buy the $608.70 ticket and the fully refundable $911.30 return ticket to provide proof you will return then refund it. Total cost of OW to LOS $608.70. But as I posted above you don't need to provide proof of return but proof you will exit LOS therefore a cheaper refundable $200-300 ticket to Singapore or a destination in China would do the trick.

Don't make this all this too complicated. Just get a return ticket BKK-KMG or BKK-PNP (Kunming or Pnom Phen) Time it in the middle of your trip and (of course) never use it and get a refund later. $200 saves the hassle and worries.On the other hand a couple of weeks in either is a nice break from the BKK madness.

As long as you have a return ticket you should have no problems, in fact the visa rules state you should have a return ticket, it does not say "with the date within 30 days". If you get asked by someone at Emirates who does not know the rules fully, tell them you will be leaving Thailand within 30 days by overland. But seriously I doubt this will happen, you will find the chack in staff in the UK fairly well up to date on these matters, not like in India or somewhere else, where these obstacles are usually invented for some bribe to look the other way.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately,many of the airlines these days are full of paranoid idiots who refuse to make exceptions to rather useless rules........I flew last year United (domestic connection) hooking up in San Francisco with Japan Airlines on to BKK.....at check in, the United rep asked me for a visa. I told him that I didn't need a visa to enter Thailand. He agreed, but stated that my return ticket was for more than 30 days. I told him that I go there every year and proceed to travel by land to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, etc, and return through Thailand...I showed the numerous stamps and dates in my passport to prove this. The fellow called in his supervisor, who refused to accept any explanations and let me board. Rather pissed off, I told them to check me through only to San Francisco...once there, I hit the JAL counter, full of smiling faces where they never ask any questions, and checked in and onward...........this year, United has become the cheapest airline to fly on, and unfortunately, I am taking them all the way to BKK, and am dreading the check in...probably have to get an advance visa..........I guess it depends on the airlines...in my experience, the Asian carriers never hassle...Korean, Asiana, JAL.......chok dee

True, but there are "reasons".

The originating airline that accepts you ticket can be held responsible for you return ticket if the country you arrive in

a) refuses you entry

B) denys you stay beyond your departure date and/or visa expiry.

It's just about money and responsibility....theirs, not yours.

So just always have an ongoing ticket (eg ChiangMai-Kunming, or BKK-PNP or whatever.) never use it, refund it on return and take the $100 insurance no hassle for the little airline people route.

Don't hassle the workers......or you may end up to be one.

Archived