what is face?

legover

There is plenty of room to create misunderstandings!

--------------------------------

even here in the States, i had to learn to tone down my speaking english with french liveliness. Especially early GFs i had. And in general i try not to tease americans too much about their appearance or habits in life. They may laugh at it, but after they wonder if you are actually putting a judgement on them. Actually living in America was a good preamble to going to LOS thinking about what you are about to say before saying it. i am even now surprised sometimes in France as people can be so direct, blame it on 22 years of americana.

One thing that i believe is bad form in LOS, and i do not trust such thais, is unshaven guys. Kamoey, as far as body language talks to me. In 14 years of going to LOS, i have had misunderstandings and maybe bad form on my part, but never a loss of face, theirs or mine. My GF once threw something at me, and her mom slapped her. That was just so...cool!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that always reminds me how little I truly understand the face thing is the way break-ups go with Thai girls. (Gee, what a coincidence I should mention this, just as P127 opened a new thread on this topic...)

If a girl tells me it's over, to me the cool thing would be to say fine and walk away. To threaten suicide, to start breaking dishes, to argue, to beg, or any of these things that are on the menu when you try to break-up with a Thai girl, I find embarassing.

I would think they would be a major loss of face and thus avoided by Thais. Shows how little I know.

Or is it the "money over face" issue discussed earlier?

Although I agree with you entirely on the complexity of using the correct form of Thai language, I don't not agree fully that the use of a certain class of language is related to face.

Using the wrong class language merely indicates that you are not fully aware of the social status of the persons around you, cannot identify with them properly, or it reflects your own lower or higher social status than those you communicate with.

To give some examples of face.

In a previous thread the farang/BG relationship was discussed, as well as the potential problems that may arise if the farang takes his BG to social functions of the higher classes.

If the BG would show up as such a function alone she will probably be identified as a BG through her use of language, but will not lose face because of it. She will be considered of a different social class and is expected to act/speak accordingly. Can't lose what you don't have really.

If this same BG accompanies a farang executive, the farang executive will lose face. However, the BG will not, maybe even the opposite as she will be considered clever (more clever than her social status would indicate) to have hooked such a good catch.

BG above could actually be substituted by TG from a lower social class (upcountry with little or no formal education).

A good way to lose face is getting all worked up in front of your Thai collegues about something considered a minor issue by them.

imagine you bring me around to some of your friends, and when i see some food he's eating (to stay with the "eating" issue) and i blurt out: "mueng daek arai wa? doo na aroi chiphai!"

guess that would be the last time you brought me along? wink.gif

she will probably be identified as a BG through her use of language, but will not lose face because of it.

--------------------------------

i think this is a very good point. And really shows how propriety/face is a multi-faceted social concept in thailand, but mostly for thais, though some expats may grasp it. I can't but think that thais view farangs very uni-dimensionally, tourist or expat, ie. outsiders. Exceptions confirming the rule. which is not to say they will not react to obvious offending behaviour. i have certainly been double-guessed and misunderstood in all kind of situations, and realized this was because they assumed already something about what the farang wants, says, does..... Do you think then that face within thais and face with farang involved are worthy of being differentiated?

>I am getting confused. <

i was just trying to make a point about language being connected to face. smile.gif

using the wrong language in the wrong social setting in thailand is gonna make someone lose face.

Archived