what is face?

legover

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK guys i can see we're going to need a little patience here.

two googlies in a row.

straycat,

Is it all incomprehensible or part of it?

since we're not likely to be going to the palace any time soon a COLLOQUIAL example would be fine leaving out the ?wai?, and the ?kreng jai?, (know that one!). good starting point?

=====

regards

3d

the effects of a "lost face" are not very nice

-------------------

that's where i was trying to get at. I think what differs is not so much proprieties of behaviour which 95% the same as in the west (the 5% being western directness), but the consequences of a faux-pas. Quickly forgottten if apologizing (or not, actually)) in the west and leaving marks in LOS or many other countries. My best example of face-losing (though sometimes i am not sure who loses it, probably both parties) was in malaysia, but it was a blessing in disguise, it saved me from possibly an horrible relationship I had wished to get in at the time.

Hum, in US or France, it is also a faux-pas to scold someone in front of the others. As i just said, it's the consequences of ones' action that are more to be regretted. If you do that in the west, the guy/gal may not like you or brush it off, (no real loss of honor just pissed) and in LOS, maybe you've made an enemy.

jingjoh: Did you read the next post in the thread? ... my post was about face over money or money over face, not whether we know anything about how to use face as non Thais.

jj, yes, but I thought the issues to which I replied, perhaps selectively, were interesting on their own, and deserved further discussion. I just used them as a bootstrap for my own thoughts.

everytime they go with another customer they feel they have more experience & thus needs more money

-------------------------------------------------------------------

i thought with every customer the price go sink

Archived