A Question for the Teachers

Hi guys got a question and was hoping someone could shed some light on this. I am planning on taking the TEFL course in Ban Phe in March 2003. From all my reading this last year on this website, ajarn.com (Phil's website),Stickman's website and talking to some Teachers I have met in Thailand on my last 4 trips, I am assuming 30,000-40,000baht a month is the average salary for a teacher in Thailand (at least the Bangkok area), I am coming down with a little nest egg about $15,000 US just to get me started, while I am looking for a job, pay for school, buy a couple suits, ect. My question is housing, how does this work? Does the school pay for your housing (or at least give an allowance?) or is that up to me to find, and if so how much do you guys who teach in Thailand think is common (fair) price for a decent apartment in the Bangkok area? (Nothing fancy, only luxury I want is air con, lol). I am trying to get as much info as possible before making this leap into a new life for myself, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post. Kevin

Hi,

While not a teacher I can tell you that, unless you land a job with a big international school, housing will not be included. You pay for it yourself.

A decent apartment will likely run you between 5K-10K a month (depending on location and size).

Sanuk!

Thanks Khunsanuk, met you at Woodstock's 3 times and it was a pleasure talking to you and the fellows, I had a good time and learned alot in the process, thank you for the info, that is what I thought but was not 100% sure, I want to have as much info as I can before taking the leap. Thanks again Khunsanuk.

I think you'll do fine with that type of nest egg. I agree with KS.....housing is your responsibility, and if you get any assistance from the place you're employed by, consider yourself fortunate.

As someone who just went through this drill of finding a place to live after attending the TEFL course in Ban Phe, I'd like to emphasize one thing. Be sure to find a place that's close to your worksite. Man, I hate trying to get around in this city during the day. I live 2.5 km from the university where I teach, and before 9 a.m., it takes me almost an hour to get to work. I think I could walk faster, but then I'd be drenched in sweat.

I pay 12K Baht for a relatively nice place attached to a large shopping mall. It's unfurnished, and I still don't have much furniture, but it has its conveniences.

Good Luck!

Thanks teacherwannabe, I really appreciate the advise. I have a couple of questions that if you have the time I would like some more info on, you can respond to me here on the board or my personal e-mail address kpanther777765@yahoo.com Was the school good and did they help at all in you locating a job? How did you find your apartment? Did the school help in locating one for you or did you just use the local paper and go apartment hunting? One last thing teacherwannabe are you happy with your teaching job? I hope so and thank you a ton for your reply and info. Kevin

Kevin, you may want to review old posts in various sections on this board. Most of your questions have been asked and answered in great detail in the past and you will get a good spectrum of answers. Also, you may want to read a 4 piece write-up on the TEFL Inc. by ItsMeDave in the trip section, posted a little over a year ago. He went through the program and chronicled his progress as well as the first few days out of school. Good luck.

Archived