Common "particles" that end/change sentences

As I further study, by book and by resourses on the web, I've come to the belief that many times when I have not been able to understand someone it was because they made generous use of Thai "particles". Particles seem to depend very much on context and sometimes social status. I'm only really interested in learning the more common ones that a foreigner would be likely to hear. I don't have Thai fonts installed on this computer so I'll do my best to transliterate. Maybe I'll add the Thai later, I think you'll get the idea of what I mean though.

1.)"na" as in "alai na?" is pretty straight forward and commonly used, but what about:

2.)"si" used to emphasize something as in "nawn si!" (go to sleep!) or "chawp si!" (yeah I really like it!)

3.)"leoi" seems to be used to take something to an absolute like "bpai leoi" (go away and don't come back!) I hear "leoi" used a lot but in so many different contexts.

4.)"jang" never heard this before but my book says it's pretty common. Used to add a "very much" emphasis to a phrase, like "Somchai uan jang!" (Somchai is very fat!)

5.)"sa" seems to be like "si" but "sa" is more of a command

"gin sa" meaning "Eat! Now!" Maybe used with children?

There are others but these seem like ones worth remembering. Do people use these much? Do you have others that are commonly used that one should know?

Thanks in advance! (Sorry about the transliteration.)

Excellent topic! I hope GTG, orandanodes, and others take off with this thread and run with it.. much ground to cover and much confusion. I'll take a shot, if nothing else to give others chance to correct me.

Re Use of particles, they are used to make a sentence more melodic, to add emphasis; and to soften, but also to strengthen the meaning.

Interesting snippet I read about the use of particles. Suppose you have a maid and you call her and she's not responding and you're getting increasingly irritated. In English, you keep calling her name with different inflections to express the progress of your anger. If you did that in Thai she would not recognize her name because of the wrong tone. Instead, you would use particles. (I hope GTG will give us step-by-step instructions!)

1) Na.

1a) A similar one to Na is Wa. Seems to be used mostly among women of lower status when speaking to a peer in an informal setting. You'll often hear, "Arai wa?" instead of "Arai na?"

2) Si. Apart from emphasis can also be used to turn a request into a mild command. "Pai si" means "Go away!"

3) Leuy. "Altogether," or "not at all." Not really a particle. (Not that I mind discussing it in this thread, just making the distinction.)

4) Jang. Colloquial way to emphasize an adjective. My favorite use for this word is, "Khun joop geng jang." (Well, there's another one I like even more but I won't mention it in this section :-).) Can be used with any adjective and has a nice ring to it.

5) Sa. Never heard of it.

6) Ha. I believe it's used by women instead of "ka." But when and why and what does it imply I don't know.

7) Ja. No clue, but I've heard it. Often in Thai chat rooms.

8) Krap/Ka. Apart from being used at the end of the sentence, can be used to acknowledge that you've heard and understood the other speaker. Can be used as an equivalent of English "Yes," "Sure," "I see," "I know," "I understand," "True," "Right," etc.

and

9) Rue? (Lue?) (rising tone). Apart from being a question word in full sentence, can be used to express a mild surprise when you listen to another person. An equivalent of "Really?", "Is that right", "Is that so?"

In a 30 minute cab ride with a very verbose driver, my GF said "Ka" and "Lue?", about 100 times each. A lesson I won't forget.

PS: JJJ, are you aware of Campbell: Fundamentals of Thai Language. The best resource for serious learner at intermediate to advanced level. Out of print but available from OOP bookdealers. Portions are also online on the Web somewhere.

Hi,

"5) Sa. Never heard of it."

I think joeyjojo was pretty close to this, although I don't it is usually as strong. More like a suggestion, with some emphasis.

"7) Ja. No clue, but I've heard it. Often in Thai chat rooms."

Cute version of 'Kha', also used by guys when talking to girls they know well.

Sanuk!

Thanks for the feedback. It appears there are more then I was aware of.

MM,

"Campbell: Fundamentals of Thai Language" never heard of it but I will investigate thanks.

I heard another one (particle) the other day while watching "Bangkok Dangerous". I forget the girls name but she kept asking the main character questions and ending her questions with "la or law" As in "Cheur alai la?" or "Tam alai la?" My guess is that it's a familiar form of "kha". Can anyone confirm or deny this?

and here comes some more;

just to tweak the ones already mentioned.

1) 'na' tends to have an element of questioning to it or asking for agreement. 'na' it is also added to krup/ka/ja etc

2) 'si' emphasizes the affirmative, also acts as encouragement or directive

3)'loey' tends to underline the intention of the statement (a good illustration is all the songs on the Thai pop band Nuvo's first album ended in 'leoy')

4)'jang' - very much sometimes combined with 'loey'

5)'sa' tends to be less forceful than 'si', more dismissive than directive

6)'ha' MM they're not women! 'ha' is the common substitute for ka by katoeys.

7)'ja' k.sanuk is right a really cutesy form of krap/ka

8)-

9) 'rue' and 'mai' are intercahangable for questions. 'rue' and 'laa' are like "really?, is that right?" also 'plao' or 'pao' which is abbreviated from 'rue plao'

10) 'wa' is actually quite rude and can indicate annoyance or frustration. Use sparingly with caution. Same goes for 'woy'.

And we haven't started on the regional ones like 'der' from Issan, 'ha' from the south or 'jaew' from the north

Remember there are no real absolute explanations and context is critical. Practice and obsevation are the only way you can get a feel for them.

Good luck

IMO very difficult to translate.

All these words indicate a kind a feeling of expression, and depend on who you're talking to (a friend, a girlfriend, someone you don't like that much).

Khrap/Kha is often mistranslated into "yes", and Thais often say "Yes" when they mean Khrap/Kha.

Khrap/Kha can mean yes, but mostly means that the question is acknowledged. This leads to many confusions between farang and Thais.

The Thai word for yes is of course "Chai".

"Wa" is not the same as "na". Wa is not very polite but na usually is. The use of "Na" can also be a from of begging. Like of your GF wants to go somewhere and you're hesitant, she may say to you "na, na, na".

" Rue" is also showing interest when someone is talking to you. Like the taxi driver in one of the posts. He keeps going on on a subject. You may actually not be listening carefully, but out of politeless you sound the occasional "rue".

"Ja" is a sweetener at the end of a sentence when talking to your GF.

>> 'rue' and 'mai' are intercahangable for questions.

> They are not! Worth starting a new thread perhaps...

MM please elaborate.

'Mai' is used when the answer is unknown. 'Rue' is used when an answer is anticipated or the questioner is suggesting an answer.

If you want to ask your GF if she likes gritz, a subject that hasn't been discussed before, you might say, 'Khun chop gritz mai?'

If she's asking for seconds after she'd consumed a plate of gritz, you'd might say, 'Khun chop gritz rue?"

There's a difference between those two questions and I believe they are not interchangeable.

The third case would be if she tasted gritz and puked immediately. 'Khun mai chop gritz, rue?' would be appropriate, whereas 'Khun mai chop gritz mai?" would be both inappropriate and incorrect.

ËÃ×à and äËà are not the same although both a positive question markers.

For the sample in the next posting about Gritz

Khun Chop Thaan gritz Mai = Do you like to eat Gritz

"Khun Chop Thaan Gritz Rue" is more like "Oh you like to eat Gritz, implying that you though differently.

The poster said "Khun Chop Gritz Mai" with would indicate a question if you like a someone called "Gritz". It's important to add "Thaan (eat)" or something like that in this sentence, otherwise you may create confusion

Archived