my 1st techno post

pattaya127

RAM and bandwidth are the limiting factors. If you max out the database people get to the board but they get errors. If you max out apache some people don't get to the board. Below is a post from the UBB Support forum.

As an aside the thing that slows the board down most for me is hot linked avatars, because there are lots of addresses my host just won't route.

http://community.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic?a=cfrm&s=729094322&f=8233088913

Subject:Here is another good Threads 6.0 Crash Error

I've found that there is more magic than science in getting the # of connections set right between Apache and MySQL. You basically need to make sure that for every connection that Apache can make, there is one connection available in MySQL. In Apache, you're looking at the MaxClients setting while in MySQL you're looking at the max_connections settings. I personally have Apache set at 210 MaxClients and MySQL set at 250. Threads is set to use persistent connections since I know exactly what the max number of connections could be at any one time. MySQL is set a little higher because my ad serving daemon keeps one connection open all the time and my main web server authenticates users back to the forum database.

I run close to 300 concurrent users at peak times with these settings with no reports of slowness or errors. Note that I have Apache running on one machine and MySQL running on another however. If your machine can't handle that many users for both processes (unless it's a quad-CPU with 2-4 gigabytes of ram, it probably can't), you're better off setting the Apache MaxClients down some. It will cause users to get slow connections during peak times, but it is better than throwing MySQL errors at them!

Archived