No sound from my computer

Old Hippie

A friend just installed a new hard drive. Now, there is no sound comming out, and I can't use Rosetta stone or Courage Thai programs. The computer message says no hardware intalled. I tried down loading a driver, but no dice, any ideas? Windows 98, PII 350mghz, if it matters.

Thanks. No loose cables, the computer aparently doesn't see the device, and down loading a driver didn't work. I think the trouble is in the driver not being there, but I could be wrong. I had trouble before trying to download a driver from that site...

You should try to note whether the BIOS recognizes the sound card when the computer starts up before the windows splash screen, sometimes it rolls by a little fast. If not open it up again and make sure the card is seated in the slot. Before you close it up again, start the computer and see if the sound card is recognised. If it still isn't recognised you can pull the card out and put it in a different slot and try again.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. Driver won't be loaded unless the sound card is detected on boot up. Turn computer off and reseat the sound card. Turn computer on and let it boot into windows. If it is still not detected in Device Manager under sound, try putting it in a different slot. If it is still not detected, you probably have a defective sound card.

To get to Device Manager: Right Click on My Computer, go to Properties and Left Click, Left Click on Device Manager tab, Left Click on the Sound section and you should see your sound card, if it is not there or there is no sound section, for sure, your sound card is not being detected. It's probably defective.

Archived