Chulalongkorn a paragon of egalitarianism

trotsky2

"...All of our subjects, from our royal children down to the lowest commoners, will have the same opportunity to study-be they royals, nobles, or commoners..." H.M. King Chulalongkorn

This was cited from the web page of the university. I must say that this idea on how public institutions should work is wonderful.

After reading this quote, I went to the Siam skytrain station to go and have a look at the university. I thought what a wonderful place this will be; the rich, the middle class, and the poor all studying together in one place. My purpose was to observe what kind of students were there studying. For about two hours I walked around the campus and to the stores in the surrounding area.

My impression was that the majority if not 99% appeared to be wealthy. Another impression was that there were considerably more female students than male. Lastly, I couldn't but notice that the skin complexion of many of students was white. This is the direct opposite of what I see when I ride the bus, take a taxi, buy food from a vendor, see a cook, walk through Nana, etc.

I have a theory that this maybe so because the schools where the commoners grow up are under-funded and lack quality teachers. Not that the teachers in the rest of the country are any better. I was also thinking that the tuition fees they have listed on the web page are probably well out reach for the average Thai.

I hate to draw the wrong conclusion but I got the impression that the words of H.M. are not being carried out.

The university is at the Siam skytrain station, right? I recall there being a bookstore and a British-American school attatched to it.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In itself , not a thai phenomenon. either as: not folllowing good words from leaders, or: U. folllowing the wealth vs no-wealth pattern seen in the rest of one's country. you know the answers to your post: only more questions. This thread may inspire some knowledgeable inputs about higher education in Thailand, but if it is just to lash out diatribes, I will close it.

Here?s a tidbit for the trolls. would the members consider upper class white-skinned, snotty-but-straight-nosed, highly privileged, marginally intelligent but exquisitely beautiful female class 1 university students 1. kinkier, 2. less kinky or 3. the same level of kinkiness as poor Essaan girls? Thank you for your interest. all stats on doing it up the arse appreciated.

3d

What you ran across is the book store at siam square not the university.. The univerisity is about 500 m down henri durant that is near to BTS station.

The poor, the middle and upperclass together.. ha.. ba. Impossible. Unless you have a famous last name, from a politallcally connected family or are one of the very few smart students they let it (<25%) you will not be going to chula. Chula is suppost to be for the supersmart but it is for the superconnected.

I guess similar how George Bush got into Harvard

<<<"There are entrance exams for the uni. A lot of wealthy kids do not score high enough to get into Chula." >>>

Children from the upper middle and upper clases send their children to expensive private schools where they receive an "international standard" of education. These are the kids that can pass the entrance exams to prestigioous universities. If they can't, donations count.

Children from the lower classes go to overcrowded and underfunded schools where it's not uncommon for 70-80 kids per classroom with no books. These kids learn how to read and write and NO MATTER HOW INTELLIGENT THEY ARE they are not prepared to pass an entrance exam to a prestigious university. A few scholarships are tossed out to these kids for appearances sake.

Unfortunately quite a few stupid ones do get in through a generous donation from daddy.

-------------------------------------------

any facts about this? For example my friend who is a teacher is much more happy working for a public university, as he found out bad students are not so easily let in and rewarded as in the private schools he used to work for. Is it a general comment you made on favoritism, or from knowledge about this specific University?

Archived