Chulalongkorn a paragon of egalitarianism

trotsky2

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brinl15 said:

"Unfortunately quite a few stupid ones do get in through a generous donation from daddy. "

DaveJavu said:

"Unfortunately quite a few stupid ones do get in through a generous donation from daddy.

and

"These kids learn how to read and write and NO MATTER HOW INTELLIGENT THEY ARE they are not prepared to pass an entrance exam to a prestigious university. "

I really need any proof of your claim about doantion !

In my experience, uni entrance exam in Thailand is quite fair and no donation can buy a ticket to uni. Unlike ivy leauge uni in The US or the UK where your last names counts and your family assicaition (esp. financially)with these unis has been established for a long time.

Though the Thai uni entrance exam is fair game, but the well-to-do families can provide and prepare their kids in a better situation than the poor ones. The schools are not in the same standard. The kids with supportive parents have more advantage in gaining their seat in the most prestigeous uni like Chula. It's not Chula's fault, it's the whole primary and secondary educational system that does not prepare the children in the same footage for the entrance exam.

With student loan program has been in place, poor students can ask for the finacial asistance. Also while the students are being interviewed, tehy will be asked about their family background. If the professors detact a problem they will help out in terms of scholarships.

But as I said, they have the obstable to get in in the first place. But that doesn't mean it is impossible. It's just they have to be very VERY SMART. I have the pleassure to meet quite a few of them over the years. I can site one example. He was one of the news reporters and now he has his own production company. His name is Satit Yu-wa- nan-ta-ka-roon. His dad has 10 children and was a truck driver. No doubt his family was very poor. But he can manage to be able to study at Chula, Faculty of Political Science.

My point is that poor students can get in Chula but sadly very rarely.

King Chulalongkorn is a great visionary person. But with the existing educational system in Thailand, Chula will be providing its services to the better prepared students from middle to upper class family.

In my experience, uni entrance exam in Thailand is quite fair and no donation can buy a ticket to uni

----------------------

this is what i understood from a farang teacher i previously mentionned. Which is why they have private institutions where exams and donations may find a middle ground. i am sure there are instances of well-off kids getting in CHULA, undeservedly, but any tale that graduation exams are rigged is a grave accusation that needs to be substantiated. It may explain why rich parents send their kids to another country, mostly in private schools (again!) over there. I am also told that the levels of learning are below the standards of western universities, if you compare for each year in a cursus.

Knowledge of that specific university as well as Thammasat. I taught students from both in scuba classes. After several were incredibly slow to learn very simple physics and physiology I asked the Thai manager and was advised that some degrees are earned others are bought. Other Thais confirmed this, as they had to deal with these people as well. I saw this on several occasions, so I believe what he said. The average idiot US high school student grasps this stuff much faster than these degreed people did. And yes the course books were in Thai, although most of them spoke English fairly well. I also had some very smart Thai students as well, so it wasn't a matter of societal backgrounds.

Most of the "hi-so" Thais that I know who are very intelligent were educated either in Europe or the US. Two of my wife's best friends here, a brother and sister, are both Mum Rajawongse, and great-grandchildren of Rama V. Both earned their bachelors degrees from universities in California. When I was working at a Thai Restaurant in Maine I met a guy who was getting his PhD at Harvard in preparation to return to Thailand and teach at Chula. He fit into the very bright and very wealthy catagory.

From what I've seen it basically goes if you're bright and wealthy you go to Chula or Thammasat. If you're bright and very wealthy you go to Europe or the US. If your not so bright but still wealthy, daddy buys you a degree. Obviously this is a generalization and not a real rule, but it happens frequently.

Check out where most of the royals have gone to school. The Crown Prince's daughter lives in Orlando. HM, the King was born in Cambridge Massachusetts when his father was attending Harvard Medical School and himself was educated in Switzerland. The only Princesses who studied at home were Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn who studied at Chula and Princess Chulabhorn Valayalaksana who studied at Kasetsart University. I forget where all of them went but the Crown Prince went to Royal Military College Duntroon, Australia. HRH Princess Ubol Ratana Rajakanya went to MIT in Massachusetts.

On and on, ad nauseam.

<<<<<DaveJavu said:

"Unfortunately quite a few stupid ones do get in through a generous donation from daddy.>>>>>

I said "donations count."

<<<<"These kids (poor children in govt. sponsored public schools) learn how to read and write and NO MATTER HOW INTELLIGENT THEY ARE they are not prepared to pass an entrance exam to a prestigious university. " >>>>

Do you debate this point that you quote?

<<<I really need any proof of your claim about doantion!>>>

I have personal experience but no paper trail. You're welcome to believe me or not.

The average idiot US high school student grasps this stuff much faster than these degreed people did

--------------------------------

which is saying a lot, since year in and year out, US High school studenst fare near the bottom of the stats of western countries education grading.

It has nothing to do with rigging exams

This is how it works.

Thais are on a track as soon as they enter school

First you try and get them into the good primary schools and then in Jr. High and High school move them into Satit or Trimudomsuksa schools. Once you get in there you are almost guarenteed a spot at the big 3. This is the old boys both. Each school dedicates about 25% of the seats to alumni kids to get into these top high schools , plus it would be politacally benificial to let in the sons of MP etc. The only way to get on this path to Chula is to have a famous name, be for old money or be extremely rich new money.

Last year 90% of graduates from Satit and Trimudom schools went to the the big 3 universities

Archived