Immigration officers no speak english!

Zaad

sorry, but immigration is part of the police force, while labour department is under the ministry of labour. completey different.

and it is rather well known that labour department and immigration are not on the best terms, to say it diplomatically.

>Because that would give me the impression that they don't need to deal with eachother. <

they need to deal with each other, but that doesn't mean that they like to deal with each other.

They do seem to be a little rude at times but its not just a Thai problem, I see that with pretty much a lot of immigration/customs officials and workers around the world.

I did find an exception last time as there was a plane load of group tourists from another Asian country who held up the queue and as it was obviousl I was not part of these groups (I wonder what gave them that clue : ) I was waved ahead of the queue so that I wouldnt' have to wait for the groups to sort out everything. They were also impressed by the little Thai I knew and appreciated my attempts at it, even though I am sure I butchered it.

In pitsanuloke, i doubt their main load is dealing with requests like yours, even a few farangs a day doing it would still not be a great incentive to over haul the immigration desk on english-speaking policies. Just think what a thai would have to go thru if in a foreign country where he hardly knows the language. My other take is that, even more so than in BKK, cultivating ties and making friends with a few thais in the provinces is of paramount importance. thais are actually very helpful people

I've never really had a "rude" immigration or customs officer in Thailand.. Sure, I've had some that were a bit "abrupt" but never rude... I find that your treatment largely depends on your attitude.. While this is not fool-proof, it does help a great deal. IMHO

As far as their english ability, I've always found that most all of the Immigration and (to a lesser extent) Customs Officers at BKK have a fairly good grasp of basic english and a working vocabulary.

--UPSer

"never thought there was a need for them to show if they speak it or not. The rules are very simple".

I'm not saying the rules are difficult, but no matter how simpel the rules are (for any case or issue in general) there are always unforeseen events, exceptions, etc, that makes it impossible for both parties not to communicate.

And the fact that the rules at the immigration change every month or so, makes it all even worse. (yes, they do change that often)

It surprises me a little bit that you have the idea that there's no need for communication.

I've never really had a "rude" immigration or customs officer in Thailand.

It looks to me that some of you are trying to defend the Thai because I mentioned their poor English.

I'm NOT attacking or blaming them in any way. I love this country very much and I'm not planning to leave in short terms. And the Thai people are very kind and polite, no doubts about that.

I just would like the Thai who deal with farangs daily to improve their English to reduce any kind of problems for anyone, that's all.

"It surprises me a little bit that you have the idea that there's no need for communication."

That is probably because most people only have to contact immigration when the arrive and depart the country; so unless they have lost their TM card or filled something out wrong there is no need for communications.

Your post also seemed to be talking oranges when you said it was about apples. I would not expect much language ability at an upcountry Labor Department Office myself, as much as we might desire it. I suspect this is why some of our response has been a little gruff.

At any rate all seems to be ok now so that is the important thing. Am sure you have found many things require a little different approach here; but the important thing to remember is that all questions have an answer - it just may take a little time to find it.

"In pitsanuloke, i doubt their main load is dealing with requests like yours".

You are right about that. That's why they had to contact the labour office in BKK and sort it out.

Anyway, I would like to take this opportunity to appologies for my English. Some of you have asked me several times to clear something up from my post, because some of you are obviously confused by something I've written. I have no problems in clearing things up, I just hope for your understanding as I'm NOT a native speaker.

My ability to explain situations, problems, etc, isn't comparable with the ability of any native speaker.

So I'll keep on doing my best not to confuse any of you guys anymore. And please feel free to correct my grammar, because I'm thinking about taking a TEFL course, so all the help is well appreciated.

THANKS!

Archived