Immigration officers no speak english!

Zaad

Why is it that the immigration officers have a very poor knowledge of the English language???

I mean, they're daily confronted with farangs from all over the world, so it's a big part of their job to communicate with foreign people.

No wonder they're always so moody.

Anyway, I don't really think the blame is on them. It's probably their study that obviously didn't have ENGLISH in it.

Is that because Thailand is still a developing country, eventhough BKK is a very busy city, or is it because "thailand" is fine with it and doesn't want to change things too much???

Is that because Thailand is still a developing country, eventhough BKK is a very busy city, or is it because "thailand" is fine with it and doesn't want to change things too much???

You'll find this attitude not only with Thai immigration officers. It's quite common in other countries in the Asia Pacific region as well. Even in Europe many imm. officers don't either like to speak English or can only speak English poorly.

"No wonder they're always so moody"

Can we even begin to imagine what it must be like to sit there and do the same exact tasks day after day year after year? Stuck because of the perceived job security of a civil servant, ambition doesn't matter, counting the years to your retirement and pension.

I also used to be taken aback by their attitude until I starting thinking what hell it must be to be in their shoes. They are in every country. In the US we use the phrase 'going postal' where postal workers are known to get feed up, go nuts and on some occasions dispatching fellow workers and themselves to their next life.

I wish it was all that simple.

There was indeed a problem, but luckily that's solved now.

The problem was: I have a NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (type "O", supporting family, eventhough I was unemployed). So I asked for a work permit in Phitsanulok. In BKK it wouldn't be a problem to get the work permit, but the labour office in Phitsanulok refused to give me a work permit.

And it's obviously VERY CONVENIENT for me to travel from Phitsanulok to BKK (400km) when there's a problem that needs me to visit the immigration office.

I needed to get some answers, but didn't get them that easily because of their poor English.

In the end the labour offices in BKK and Phitsanulok came to an "agreement" and I got my work permit.

That's for those who were curious about my initiative to post this thread.

>>> "I needed to get some answers, but didn't get them that easily because of their poor English."

You got no answers because you don't speak any Thai. Don't forget that Thai is the officail language here and they don't have any obligatin to learn English, Korean, Japanese or Czech.

"You got no answers because you don't speak any Thai".

To assure you, my Thai is much better than their English, but it hasn't reached the level yet of talking about matters like these.

Come on....I'm not even 2 years in this country, please give me some more time to GET this language.

Anyway, they deal with foreigners constantly so they should make the job a little bit easier for both parties by having some knowlegde. It's not that they run a hairdresser shop where 99% of the costumers are Thai.

Understand what I'm saying?

>So I asked for a work permit in Phitsanulok. In BKK it wouldn't be a problem to get the work permit, but the labour office in Phitsanulok refused to give me a work permit.

And it's obviously VERY CONVENIENT for me to travel from Phitsanulok to BKK (400km) when there's a problem that needs me to visit the immigration office.

I needed to get some answers, but didn't get them that easily because of their poor English.

In the end the labour offices in BKK and Phitsanulok came to an "agreement" and I got my work permit. <

i have some difficulties understanding your post, was your problem with the immigration officers or the labour officers? those are completely different departments.

"i have some difficulties understanding your post, was your problem with the immigration officers or the labour officers? those are completely different departments".

First of all, both offices deal with foreigners daily, so the problem was with both.

And second, in order to get a work permit you must have the right VISA. So you have to go from one office to the other. When there are problems, those offices will try to sort it out, so please don't say they're completely different.

Because that would give me the impression that they don't need to deal with eachother.

Archived