HIV testing in Bangkok

Ozgaz

Those "unapproved test kits" that FDA is talking about, are the same test kits used in local clinics for HIV rapid tests. Next time you go in for a test, after they take your blood, watch then open the kit for the solution and reader.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RE:

http://www.fda.gov/cber/infosheets/hiv-home.htm

This page was last updated over 5 years ago. Testing has come a long way since then. I think they are still correct though that there are still some crummy tests out there, so it pays to do a little research on the test used before getting tested at a clinic or doing it yourself. I am happy that the FDA at least dates their information, even if it's not current.

There are some other info about OraQuick on the OraSure website:

OraSure Receives FDA Approvable Letter for OraQuick HIV-1 Test

Monday, May 13, 2002

http://www.orasure.com/news/default.asp?art_id=185

Abbott and OraSure Technologies Enter Distribution Agreement for OraQuick® Rapid HIV-1 Test In the United States

Monday, June 17, 2002

http://www.orasure.com/news/default.asp?art_id=186

• 2 weeks later...

WW

Thanks for the valuable info. Do you know if the OraSure test kits are available over the counter in Thai pharmacies? If yes, how much do they go for? It would be nice to have a stock of these on hand to check the status of those 'special' girls in real time before doing something stupid.

I've used the Home Access product a number of times, but don't like the price (now about $50) and the long delay in getting the results.

Also, I fail to understand the logic in the FDA dragging their feet on making these reliable test products available to the US public. Hell, with all the taxes we pay, the Government should be handing them out for free (same for condoms and syringes) if it is really interested in curbing the spread of HIV.

ST

I think, one of the main reasons against products like this is, if a test turns out to be true and there is no professional advisory available. Just think about making this test for your own, self-confidently showing the result to your girl and it turns out to be positive. What will you do? How will you react? Or on the other hand, you confrontrate a girl with a positive result. What will she do? How will she react?

The consequences, that someone will make, can't be predicted.

The consequences, that someone will make, can't be predicted.

True enough, and one of the most common reactions of a person finding out they are HIV+ is to go out and infect as many others as they can - understandably, not something the HIV news media likes to talk about...

Still, I can't go along with your reasoning. I believe most people want to know if they are HIV+ and if the tests indicate this - so be it. This will never be an easy pill to swallow regardless of how the results are presented. Anyway, the Home Access test has been available for years, although to be fair they do claim to have counseling over the phone available should your results indicate positive.

I agree that finding out you or your prospective partner is HIV+ in the situation you outline would be very awkward, but I would rather deal with that than proceed.

ST

I fail to understand the logic in the FDA dragging their feet on making these reliable test products available to the US public

I strongly suspect the FDA gets the test result statistics from the kits that go to labs. Before getting your results by phone, you are surveyed on lots of questions like the types of people you have sex with, protection level, number of partners, and so forth. Now why would the guy selling the kits care about this? It must be the FDA's quiz. If home kits were approved and proliferate (which they would since who wants to deal with mailing and waiting), the FDA would be out of the loop and lose a valuable source of information. Just a theory...

I strongly suspect the FDA gets the test result statistics from the kits that go to labs. Before getting your results by phone, you are surveyed on lots of questions?

Interesting theory. The feds may indeed get the information you mention. I haven't used one of those Home Access tests in almost two years, but unless they have changed their policy answering all those questions was an option that you could skip. Although I do recall you still had to listen to a bunch of crap before you could get to your test results. Maybe it just seemed like a long time as I was always very anxious with fingers crossed and prepared for the worst when I dialed in for my results. Always came back negative, but of course that's no guarantee of the future?

ST

Do you know if the OraSure test kits are available over the counter in Thai pharmacies?

Surisongse Clinic is the only place I've aware of that has it available. 500B/kit, 2000 for a box of 5.

From another post on this topic:

"suriwongse clinic is located on a small soi off suriwongse road- it's the first soi west of patpong 2- it's the soi with all the traditional thai massage and foot massage shops- entering the soi, the clinic is on your right, 20 meters from the main road- can't miss it- it's open until midnight except on sundays "

I seem to remember when I was looking for it that the first 'west' should be 'east' though.

As for resonse to a positive result... I've always have a plan should it turn out to be positive - who knows if I'd actually follow it though. I don't need the pre-counseling since I already know more about the tests and the disease than most councelors, and know people that have become HIV positive so am well aware of the potential psychological reactions, though I would certainly seek confirmation testing and counseling were I to test positive. BTW, in Thai clinics and hospitals, you don't get much counceling either in my experience.

Requesting a girl be tested, that's another matter, and not something to be taken lightly. Should be done only with girls you are in a long-term sexual relationship (of whatever sort) with and plan to drop the condoms IMO. That's what condoms are for. I've always figured were she to test positive (and she didn't already know), I would take her for confirmation testing and counseling should she allow me to. There are some ethical issues here. Some people do take their own lives, so I'd feel some responsibility for helping her through that initial shock. But the potential psychological effects to her are much less important that the potential damage she could cause by infecting others (e.g. me) IMO.

True enough, and one of the most common reactions of a person finding out they are HIV+ is to go out and infect as many others as they can - understandably, not something the HIV news media likes to talk about...

Is this true? God, I hope not. What makes you think this?

Surisongse Clinic is the only place I've aware of that has it available. 500B/kit, 2000 for a box of 5.

Thanks for this valuable information, next visit to Patpong I'll pickup five or ten of these. Price seems like a real bargain compared to the Home Access tests which go for about fifty bucks each. BTW, you have to be careful when you buy the Home Access product as it has an expiration date stamped on the box that is hard to spot. I bought two of these once on sale only to discover they were worthless when I phoned in one of the registration numbers. Fortunately, I still had my receipt and was able to get a refund on both. This phony expiration date BS is why I stopped buying the product as there is nothing contained in the kit that is perishable. I believe this is the reason why very few pharmacies now carry the Home Access HIV tests kits. They are only good for maybe six months from the date of manufacture, so if the drug store doesn't sell them by the almost hidden date on the box they have to eat them.

Is this true? God, I hope not. What makes you think this?

Sorry, I can't recall where I read this, but it was in a reputable newspaper or magazine several years back. I'm with you though and hope it isn't true, but suspect it is.

Unfortunately, behavior like this reveals the darker side of human nature and there have been several of the more shocking instances of this given national attention. I think the reptilian 'get even' or 'payback' reaction is played down by the media, the Government and most HIV activist organizations (often gay rights orientated). The activist groups (and the rest) have their own agenda and want to project a responsible caring image of those infected regardless of the facts.

ST

Archived