The Bars down the the street from NANA Hotel

Has anyone spent time in the bars along Soi 4 down from NEP heading away from Sukhumvit. There is a number of them. What do you think about them. Also would like to see an update on Buckskin Joes Village. Thanks guys

Raul

I went to Soi Zero for the first time in a year a few weeks ago around midnight on a Friday night. The majority of the bars had no customers and some had only 1. One bar had 6 or 7 Africans in it. How this place stays open, I'll never know. I picked one of the empty bars and played pool with the girls for a couple of hours. Good, quiet fun. That said, it may be another year before I get back there.

Ranger

By midnight on a Friday night, most of the girls in the popular bars have already been bar-fined and are gone.

I "worked" as a DJ off-and-on last year at the Rooster Bar - the open pool bar that opens onto the Soi Zero "entrance" off Sukhumvit. My present live-in GF (and her predecessor) were both girls who worked at Rooster.

The two most popular bars are probably "Rooster Bar" and its immediate neighbor, "Det 5 Sexy Night".

Many of the smaller bars are little more than "hobbies", where a farang has married a BG, and has funded her to open a little bar (this samae situation applies to Asoke Plaza).

Most of the "hobby" bars just barely break even. Typically, each bar will become a hang-out spot for the owning BG's friends (including the girls from the bar where she used to work), and also the farang husband's mates.

Soi Zero visitors are about 30% ex-pat regulars, 30% farang repeat visitors, and 40% newcomers. Drinks are inexpensive, there is almost no pressure, and the girls are generally very friendly. Barfines are typically 300 baht.

For customers, charm and a sense of humor generally carry almost as much weight as a thick wallet here. About half the places have a pool table or two. Most of the DJ's will be happy to play a song for you, if they have it.

The best-looking girls don't last long - generally barfined by 9 or 10 o'clock, and they also generally don't work for more than a few months before being "sponsored" away. But don't let anyone tell you that all the girls here are "dogs" - I know some awesome "stunner" alumni from Soi Zero - both married away, and freelancers.

To me, as an ex-pat resident, Soi Zero and Washington Square are the best places to just chill out with some friendly BG company, without much pressure to ante up. That is, after first sitting at Big Dogs (or Lucky Lukes) at the entrance to NEP, between about 6:00 pm and 8:00 pm, watching all the girls of NEP arrive for work!!!!

Cheers!

Bangkok Butterfly

Raul, Are you talking about Soi 4 when you ask about the bars down the street from Nana Hotel? These are obviously not Soi 0 bars which is down Sukhomvit about 150 metres.

Either way I have a little experience with the Bus Stop on Soi 4 about 50 metres from Nana Hotel on the same side of the street.

It's a beer bar staffed by bar waitresses (not freelancers) who serve the food and drinks and some are avaible for takeout. I go there sometimes for lunch to get away from the hustle and bustle of the Golden Beer Bar and Soi 7 Bier Garden. It's surronded by large shrubs and trees so you can't hear street traffic.

Most of the girls are over the hill but I've met a couple addorable fresh faces to the scene. One did everything but the nasty and one would not got back to hotel.

Also most of the girls' wages come from customers buying them drinks so it's OK to buy them a 60 baht drink if you enjoy their company as they sit with you during lunch/dinner. However the girls will never ask you to buy a drink as it's a pretty relaxed place.

[ June 26, 2001: Message edited by: Kaiser99 ]

I agree, the Bus Stop is a great little bar. I've been ther twice and a good time was had on both occasions. The girls were very friendly and not pushy at all. As for being over the hill, although not stunners some were very pretty. To save the bar finethe girls go down to the nana disco when the bar closes.

Also just before the Bus Stop on the left as you walk away from NEP. therre is a good English Bar serving burgers etc and showing Premiereship football.

Suk 4 Left hand Side. (that I visit)

1. Dynasty Hotel. Happy Hour daily 5-7, cheap beer, double for a single.

2. Chequers. (DJ's English Bar) Brit food and big screen TV upstairs for Footy and Rugby.

3. Warblers. Pool Table, Sport on TV, excellent curries and mexican food, live music most nights

4. Jools tongue.gif" border="0 Good food, most nights are like a campanologists convention

kaiser99,

Regarding the Bus Stop, is there a bar fine every night now or only still on weekends? What's the current policy these days? While I haven't been there in some time, I do remember each girl is different from never going out with a customer to nana disco regulars and everything in between. While it does make for an interesting encounter, you can waste a lot of time finding out what each girl's limits are. I used to just chat up a lot as to not to get paired off with anyone in particular. Some pleasant, decent girls, though no stunners, but I remember having more genuine, semi-honest, reality-based conversations since neither of us were trying to score with each other. Can be a nice change of pace from the go-go's and hard-core, bar-fined beer establishments.

Personally I like Bus Stop. If I head off to Nana area i will always stop in there for a drink or two.

I understand that Bar fine is only payable Friday/Saturday.

Girls who stay the whole shift (there are 3 shifts) receive i share of the bars tips for the day.

In Soi Zero I would spend time at Rooster Bar and agree with the earlier comments made about it

Archived