My time at Woodstock :)

Goodthaigirl

quote:

Originally posted by rictic:

Originally posted by whosyourdaddy:

[qb]Look Kreung does not mean half breed , that is just your interpretation and connotation of the word.

Literally means "baby half". If I said she is half Thai would that offend you??

Now who's not reading the mail or had a bad day???

Luck Farang did say

"There must be a more polite term similar to "LOOK KREUNG", but I can't think of one right now."

What does that mean?? He thinks Look Kreung is a polite term and was trying to think of a similar English phrase.

Rictic-

It does seem odd that I cannot think of a more polite phrase. I mean, America is supposed to be a big melting pot.

"Thai-American" would only describe an American born Thai with two Thai parents.

"American-Thai" I've never heard used and would be confusing.

"Half Thai" is polite enough and could be used but leads to the question "What is the other half?"

"Half Thai and half American" is polite enough and descriptive, but a bit cumbersome.

And I'm sure there are other words more derogatory than "half breed".

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a phrase that used tto be heard a lot, Eurasian. I know this only covers the European Asian mix but it is there. Not as all encompassing as Look Khreung though.

Well here for the answer to all of the riddles, it was me getting married in Sakhon Nakhon. I normally don't read the board. But k. Sanuk is a close friend of mine. I had nothing to do do today and I wandered into an internetcafe. I read your postings. Thanks for wishing me well. And thanks to Longie, Chan and Sanuk to respond on my behalve.

The dowrie was a much disputed 100.000 Thai Baht. Which is to much in my opinion. But her sister was married (and divorced again) for 200.000 Thai baht and a house to a Thai guy. The house the parents sold to rake in the money! So I as a farang couldn't get away with less. I am proud to say though that in the last months nor in the coming months a single Baht was dispatches towards my wife's

parents. My wife originally ran away from home, because of her parents greed amongst other things. And stupid me broughth them back together. My wife is very upset we didn't get one baht back from this dowrie.

So now the mystery is solved, please flame me

for overpaying.I probably won't read it anyway.

Crazy Man

ps: My Thainame is Ouan btw.

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: Crazy Man ]

Thanks for the candid post khun Ouan!!

Overall I think you did pretty good. It's tough, but you can't pick your in-laws. For me I'd much prefer to do help out here and there in the months leading up to the marriage and have just a token-dowry for ceremonial purposes. But, like I said before, you can't pick your wife's parents..

One thing to note though, in the West we may not have a dowry before marriage, but we really get screwed if the marriage ends in divorce... That's something to think about before shouting murder about the Thai dowry practise.

Cheers,

Chanchao

quote:

Originally posted by Chanchao:

One thing to note though, in the West we may not have a dowry before marriage, but we really get screwed if the marriage ends in divorce... That's something to think about before shouting murder about the Thai dowry practise.

Very well noticed...:-)

Then Long Gun observed and wrote earlier:

"...oh, yes, the old boy who sits in the middle of the garden at the little desk and painstakingly checks the contents of all the gift envelopes and notes down the amount contained in a big old ledger."

In the last two years i was invited to two turkish weddings (turk married turk). At both occasions the contents of the envelopes were not only noted in a ledger but also publicitly announced by a moderator in the course of the evening festivities ("Family A gave § bucks. Mr. and Mrs. B gave a nice parcel that holds...*unwrap unwrap*...a set of 4 coffee cups. Mr. C and Mrs D gave §§ bucks. ...")

Looks like it's only "us" who find this practice strange...

• 4 months later...

I love the word "Eurasian", it reminds me of the first one I ever met in Kiwiland, in the late 60's.... Half Chinese and Kiwi.... an absolute stunner.

Most stunners here are Eurasian, (I think!) :-)

No doubt someone will disagree..... :-)

Posted by goodthaigirl:

"... There was a very big guy sitting at the next table. Could it be Fatbastard33?? If you're reading this please tell me"

Many apologies for not replying earlier. Yes I was there on Friday 5 January. Was set to go to Pattaya with a little cutie I met the previous evening, but had a few beers at lunch time and decided to go to Pattaya on the Saturday.

If you saw me with a tall lady who looked a bit like a katoy (but was not!) it was I.

Unfortunatly, I cannot recall you.

Next time hope I can introduce myself to you.

Take care

Fatbastard33

Hi fatbastard33,

>Many apologies for not replying earlier.

That's alright. But where have you been these couple of months? We miss you on this board !

>If you saw me with a tall lady who looked a bit like a katoy (but was not!) it was I.

I didn't recall you either.

>Next time hope I can introduce myself to you.

Same here.

GTG

• 3 weeks later...

lotsa good reading.......and have to say I look forward to meeting some of the interesting "characters" on this board at Woodstock when I arrive next Friday.

And definitly hope others introduce themselves to the guy standing around looking totally lost blush.gif not too much into those 10 minutes ordeals that feel like they last years smile.gif

Archived