My time at Woodstock :)

Goodthaigirl

The aspect of these weddings that I find particularly odd/amusing (apart from when the groom has a mike thrust into his hand in front of the karaoke machine and told to sing a song he has never heard before and has no idea of what the tune is (and probably couldn't hold the tune anyway) simply because the words are in English!!) - where am I? - oh, yes, the old boy who sits in the middle of the garden at the little desk and painstakingly checks the contents of all the gift envelopes and notes down the amount contained in a big old ledger.

Why? What do they do with the book?

LG

BTW I am sure I heard the groom say, as he was spreading all those silver notes around the plate, that he WAS getting all the money back. Not true?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by rictic:

Originally posted by Good Thai Girl:

[qb][qb] I'm sorry. I'd love to but the nature of this board leaves me no choice but to withhold the name.

I guess I love my school too much.
smile.gif" border="0

MMMMM So you are really being Judgmentall on all participents of this board and their children. We're now back to all Farang are no good and Look Kreung are scum and deserve nothing but disdain, aren't we!!

Not a flame but an absolute observation. You would not give a child of anyone particpating here an opportunity to have their kids near you or any of your friends or to have a chance at a decent education as long as they are in Thailand.[/QB]

What??? Good Thai Girl is not allowed to keep some parts of her life private. If someone wanted to know the good Thai schools it is easy to ask her for her opinion of what the good schools in thailand are without her printing her past on an internet board.

To answer your questions, the Satits, Sacred Hearts, Assumptions, and trium udoms are some of the better none interenational schools

quote:

Originally posted by luckyfarang:

GTG-

Just in case you didn't know, the term "half-breed" carries derogatory connotations when spoken in English. There must be a more polite term similar to "LOOK KREUNG", but I can't think of one right now.

Look Kreung does not mean half breed , that is just your interpretation and connotation of the word.

Literally means "baby half". If I said she is half Thai would that offend you??

Hi WYD

I'd had a bad day and just come off another board where I'd had an argument with some idiot racist so I was in, dealing with that idiot racist mode. I did apologise to her for taking her comments the wrong way.

Hi,

"Why? What do they do with the book?"

As far as I know it is used to determine the amount should one of those people get married. Still sounds strange to me though, since the majority of people giving gifts is already married.

"BTW I am sure I heard the groom say, as he was spreading all those silver notes around the plate, that he WAS getting all the money back. Not true?"

I was under the impression that none of it was coming back. Have not spoken to the groom about this, so could be wrong.

Sanuk!

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

As far as I know it is used to determine the amount should one of those people get married. Still sounds strange to me though, since the majority of people giving gifts is already married.

Well, they may not be gettin' another wedding, but all them people'll sure be gettin' a funeral sooner or later..

Makes ya wonder if at that time the wedding book resurfaces to determine the amount to put into the envelope. :-)

Anyway, thanks for this Longie, made another mental note about my wedding (if ever): NO public display of some guy or gal writing down amounts! And I personally don't even want to know about it.

Cheers,

Chanchao

quote:

Originally posted by whosyourdaddy:

Look Kreung does not mean half breed , that is just your interpretation and connotation of the word.

WYD-

I think we have an minor breakdown in communication here. GTG orginally posted using the English word "half-breed", and I just wanted to see if she realized the negative connotations this word can have among farang, unlike LOOK(f) KREUNG(f), which generally has no negative connotations to the Thais, indeed, sometimes has positive connotations as denoted in her post:

GTG posted:

My school have had some half-breed children from ie. a Dutch father, a German father, a Singhalese father, etc. and at one time we had a Korean kid. So I have no problem whatsoever with Look Kreung children. In fact, Most Thais regard Look Kreungs as superior than Thais themselves since Look Kreungs are more beautiful than those with flat- nosed like us. See how many Look Kreungs have become stars in Thailand."

But even though GTG was the one who translated LOOK KREUNG here as "half-breed", not myself, I do think that this is one of several valid translations of the word. She probably got that from a dictionary. Since it won't translate directly into a single English word or phrase, it is an idiom, even more confusing if translated literally as "half ball".

Kh. Sanuk -

Thanks for your input on sin sot. As a westerner it's all so culturally uncomfortable, compared to western weddings. We're so used to the bride's family footing the bill. My uncle had 5 daughters that he married off, and was the recipient of vast amounts of sympathy, poor fellow.

It's nice to know the outrageous amounts usually are given right back. Myself I would give and not expect anything, just in case. My intended is Chinese/Thai, works for a multinational insurance outfit. If anything came back I'd just let Jee take care of it - and the rest of my money. Shoot, I'd just spend it on a new motorbike laugh.gif" border="0

I'm lucky. Jee's family doesn't need or want my cash. Mom and Dad own a chicken farm, and all 9 kids are professionals, i.e., doctor, pharmacist, managers, etc. Oh, about writing down the wedding gifts in a ledger, let me tell you - Thais are crazy for such recordkeeping. Each month our temple mails out the newsletter, wherein all donations (with names attached) are prominently placed, even if the donation was only for a few bucks. I think Bangkok Phil got it right with the concept of "Surface Wealth". Dude got it right on that one.

(In best Austin Powers voice)...And, I'm done. laugh.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by whosyourdaddy:

Now who's not reading the mail or had a bad day???

Luck Farang did say

"There must be a more polite term similar to "LOOK KREUNG", but I can't think of one right now."

What does that mean?? He thinks Look Kreung is a polite term and was trying to think of a similar English phrase.

Why doesn't everyone get as protective over oo7?

oo7 is a Thai girl that has been on here a long time without any problems and has made some very interesting posts/comments.

Archived