Goodthaigirl

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Chanchao:

Actually dual citizenship isn't even allowed anymore under Thai law

I thought it was, Oh well!!

Anyway my kids are tri-nationals so does that make a difference?

I gained an extra Nationality through being willing and stupid enough to volunteer to for the Armed Forces of a country I wasn't a National of. Who needs medals, I collect Nationalaties.

quote:

Originally posted by Ashman:

I think ' mixed race' or a person of mixed race is the accepted term, at least in the UK it is.

Mixed Race would be the accepted term in the USA or Canada... but it is a racist term all the same... the same as African-American, French-Canadian, or any other hyphenated racial/religious/nationalist label.

CS

[ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: CosmicSurfer ]

quote:

I think "mixed-blood" or "mixed heritage" is the accepted term.. though with all of these kind of words it may be a matter of time before the politically correct think of something new. :-)

Cheers,

Chanchao

I'm anything but "PC" however I'll take a stab at a name. Will racially challenged do?

laugh.gif" border="0

Hawaiian's call mixed races Hapa. When it's a mix of island and caucasian, it's Hapa Haole tongue.gif" border="0

Personally, I think mixed races are probably the most beautiful people in the world. And scientifically, it's better for the genes. Too much of the same same isn't too good. blush.gif" border="0

quote:

...My guess is around 70K or so?...

Yo Chan -

Excuse me, but do you mean 70 large, as in U.S. greenbacks? shocked.gif" border="0

I guess there's an argument to be made in, "you can't put a value on someone" but JAYSUS! Giving the fam 2 years' salary for a dowry? When does the shit stop? Will it soon come to, "We want a gazillion bazillion dollars for our daughter!" for us future suitors?

Since homie's already in the family by virtue of marriage, isn't it to be expected he'll be taking care of the in-laws anyway as needed over time? Why ask for all that dinero up front?

Seems like the $70k would be much better invested in a house, something that's real. A house is an appreciable asset, and one that exclusively benefits the wife, and by extension, her family.

Oh hell, for all I know this guy has more cash than Michael Jordon. But for a regular Joe like me, that's an astounding figure. Damn!!! shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: pjacktpa ]

quote:

Originally posted by pjacktpa:

Yo Chan -

Excuse me, but do you mean 70
large
, as in U.S. greenbacks?
shocked.gif" border="0

No of course not. Why would it be a US$ number anyway.. I'm not American, the groom is not American, he got married in Thailand again not to an American, so.. ? smile.gif" border="0

Although way high amounts are possible of course, especially for middle and higher class families.. Like 500 or a million baht or more... :-/ I think my gf's family is still looking for 500K :-)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Yo Chan -

Sorry bro' - it's difficult to tell where everyone's from just going by the names.

Thanks for explaining about sin sot. If you're looking at what, $10-11k, (U.S.) well that's up there but IMO okay. Very nice of you and very, very generous to the family.

That's kind of where I'd like to limit myself, maybe a bit more if I have the extra. But from what I've heard, if you're a westerner it's only the beginning. I'd rather have plenty socked away so I can be ready for all the upcoming family emergencys ! smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

Tyler Durden said:

quote:

Personally, I think mixed races are probably the most beautiful people in the world. And scientifically, it's better for the genes.

I coudn't agree more, love that mixed race look, its just the best. Mixing up the gene pool is often a very good thing, a healthy thing for the human race.

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: kohMarco ]

Hi,

"If you're looking at what, $10-11k, (U.S.) well that's up there but IMO okay. Very nice of you and very, very generous to the family.

That's kind of where I'd like to limit myself, maybe a bit more if I have the extra. But from what I've heard, if you're a westerner it's only the beginning."

Not necessarily true. First of all if Chanchao would pay that amount (not too sure about it), he and his gf will most likely get all of it back. Which is as it should be. Unfortunately, that was not the case in this particular wedding.

Secondly, farangs are only hit up for dowries that are way out of proportions when the inlaws see only a walking ATM. If the girl and her family like the guy chances are that the dowry will be similar to what a Thai guy would have to pay (which I assume is the case in Chanchao's situation).

What the amount is depends on several factors, but the girl's and her family's 'status' play a big role in it. Expect to pay a lot more for a banker's daughter with a master's degree than for a isaan ricefarmer's daughter.

Sanuk!

Archived