Seoul

bushman

Does anyone have a suggestion of a reasonable/nice place to stay in Seoul. I stayed at the Hamilton Hotel in Itaewon last year .Great location but a bit pricey for the shabby rooms.The price has increased this year to 111,000won.

Itaewon is the preferred location. Any ideas??

Thanks

Bush

As I recall, The Hamilton was one of the cheaper places in that city. Not sure what your interests are, but you can try going through a travel agent, as you may get e decent price on something when combined with your air ticket. I remember a small place in Itawan called the Hang Gang, don't have the adress, but it was half of what the Hamilton was, but a sparse, clean barron depressing room. Got a nasty stare from the desk woman when I brought a woman back. Not sure if it was because I paid for a single, or cause I had a girl in the room.

Also try contacting the hotels directly and asking for specials, good luck, that is one expensive place!!

I don't know any Korea specific travel agents, but the previous poster may be on to something. Also, you can try a Korean neighborhood (if you have one in your area) and go from there. There are a few, basic bed and shower type places in Seoul, but in general, the place is expensive. I like it though, for some reason especially in winter. At $100 a night, you may do o.k. to call the larger American/foreign chains and inquire, also if possible contact the hotel directly for specials. Good luck, and let us know what you find!

Hi. Is it really a full-service hotel that you wish to stay at? If you really just need a place to park your suitcase, shower and sleep, you can easily stay at any one of the MANY motels (called a "yuhgwan" in Korea) in major cities here, many of which serve as "short-time" hotels (lots of cheating going on here in the ROK).

Typically you'll pay about 40,000 Korean won for a night. No room service, but you will have Korean TV and hot water. Don't expect the staff to know English, however.

Hope this helps.

Thanks---I will take a look and let you know. I have faxed the Hotel Kaya ,recommended in Lonely Planet, but no reply.

Possible the bad storm has effected them as I have also not heard back from a fax to a supplier.

Anyone needing a nice hotel in either Taipei or Hong Kong,

I can give good moderate priced recommendations.

Thanks again

Bush

kohlanta

Thanks the info on koreahotels.net. I did get several good leads

but none in Itaewon. After working all day, we all like to relax in a "friendly" atmosphere. I am leaning toward the Hamilton

even at the price because "location,location,location" is soooo

important.

Bush

I like the Grand Hyatt on the hill above Itaewon. United Airlines sends me 50% off coupons that i use and the rate becomes pleasant at that discount. As a frequent visitor to Seoul (four times a year) I avoid Itaewon like the plauge. My adivce would to be to visit areas like "mee ah lee", "oh pal pal", hotel nightclubs, like the JJ's @ Hyatt or Marriot/Hilton, hang out in Apkujung (many nightclubs) or in Myong Dong try the Starbucks, or Sinchon (Ewha womens university nearby). It does help to have Korean friends. Also great body massage at the Dynasty Hotel in Kang Nam (second floor). Try asia-hotels.com it may have decent rates for Korea.

Archived