American Films vs. THAILAND

jetlag

The cinema here, like most places in the world is dominated by Hollywood. And like most places in the world, people complain about it. But what's the alternative, more obnoxiously long Thai historical epics?

Hollywood makes films for AMERICAN audiences, and then shops the film around internationally to make some cream off the top. No studio is going to be alarmed at the lack of Thai box office on a film. Therefore Thailand, and the rest of the world (excluding maybe Hong Kong, and India) are going to have to live with what America wants to watch.

As someone who has been at least partly responsible for some of the more crappy films that have graced your cinemaplexes, I apologize for this.

I would love to see more Thai movies made. The problem is that making films is an expensive proposition (even in Thailand, where it's cheaper than anywhere else I've seen), and frankly Thai movies just don't make money. There are too few Thai moviegoers, and with all the rampant piracy you can forget about the video sales which tend to make up a huge chunk of a film's profit.

The trick I think for Thai cinema, is not to make movies for just for Thais. But, for Thai cinema to reverse the direction and try to make movies for an American audience. (look at the recent influx of HK film makers making american flicks). That's how you're going to make money on a Thai film, and create a sustainable and vibrant industry here.

IMO That's the only way the film industry in Thailand can grow out of its current slump.

[ January 07, 2002: Message edited by: jetlag ]

[ January 07, 2002: Message edited by: jetlag ]

Hi Jetlag

I'm not in the film industry unlike yourself, 'tho I'm flirting with screenwriting,(won a comp in 99, hurrah for me!), but it doesn't pay the bills for me. In fact it doesn't pay any bills for me as my prize money's long gone. Hollywood makes films that predominantly aim at a youth market- teen to mid/late 20's. Numerous surveys have shown them to be the most frequent cinema-goers. Most people that age are interested in pop culture, excitement, change, gadgets etc. (basically things that go bang with lots of flames). I don't know your age but most junior studio execs are in a similar age group with similar interests and if a screenplay grabs them in the first 3 pages then it's got more chance of being read by someone with real clout.

When a film costs so much to make it's no wonder that the studios have to try to guarantee a return that's gonna cover the initial investment.

How can the Thais make a decent modern movie when in a global sense Thailand is viewed as little more than a parochial backwater, (fun though it is and much as I love it), with little influence on international politics?Hong Kong has long been renowned as a financial powerhouse. If and when things meltdown in HK then the world will know. Thailand's economic crisis in 97 left barely a ripple outside SEA. Plus HK has a reputation for triads, kung fu and all sorts of nonsense. Thailand's great as a substitute for Cambodia, (The Killing Fields filmed partly in Hua Hin), and numerous other Vietnam era war movies but for serious movies it's yet to find a niche. I suppose Jean Claude Van Damme tried his best to bring Thailand to the fore with his kickboxing flicks and Emmanuelle showed the sensual side of the Kingdom.

If Thailand hopes to make an impact on the international film market then it should try comedies. A Thai Benny Hill would be fantastic. I know a couple of girls who'd be ideal in chase scenes.

tongue.gif" border="0

Jetlag,

Have you seen any of the newer thai movies, especially anything directed or produced by Nonzii Nimibutr. His "Bangkok Dangerous" was directed by a Hong Kong director and used a Hong Kong actor.

If your into film his films are worth a look.

I believe "faa talaay jone" or called "tears for the black tiger" ?? for english language release has been, or is about to be released in the US.

What's wrong with American films? They're fine. Speaking as an Englishman, I hate most of the dreary films we make and we're supposed to watch because they're British.

I haven't seen that many Thai films, but when I do, I tend to think that the hammy, over-acted expressions that seem to be mandantory for the Thai audience wouldn't transfer well.

quote:

Originally posted by jetlag:

Therefore Thailand, and the rest of the world (excluding maybe Hong Kong, and India) are going to have to live with what America wants to watch.

i know.

a thai gf of myn told me she was upset about the movies made about thailand (in that case "the beach" and "brokedown palace")

she said they made thailand look foolish. actually when i watch the movie and thinking what the thai crowds must think when watching those movies, i really think the american filmproducers are making an ass of themselves.

The Thais could make two versions of the film. One for domestic consumption and a version for export. The incremental cost is not that much. Years ago American film makers had one version for the domestic market and one for the Euro market.

PS: Remember India produces the most films of any country. laugh.gif" border="0

American cinema is a disaster for everybody else.

Hollywood has grown so powerful after WWII that it has the greatest concentration of talented people and seasoned technicians. The distribution and marketing is also the most powerful on the planet, with subsidiaries in most countries.

There are many great american movies, but most of them obey to stereotyped recipes, to which audiences of the rest of the world has been made to get accostumed. So different, more personal or local filmaking has big trouble to reach audiences more and more lazy (and tv doesn't help).

It's an unfair vicious circle, whose consequence is to make the whole world think american !

So I believe governments of every country should continue and increment support to local film production and distribution (which USA strongly opposes).

Archived