American Films vs. THAILAND

jetlag

don't forget indian movies. salaam bombay, the apu trilogy, fire...

or the aera of the italian neorealists...

contemporary european cinema still once a while brings some jewels out which beat the shit out of every hollywood film, only out here nearly impossible to see. frown.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Azmit Gom:

american !

So I believe governments of every country should continue and increment support to local film production and distribution (which USA strongly opposes).

What the USA objects to is dual pricing. smile.gif" border="0 For example the French add a tax to American films but not French films. If the French government wants to send tax money to French moviemakers they should tax all films equally. They would still raise more money from the American films since vastly more French people would rather watch American films instead of French films.

Originally posted by flyonzewall:

"don't forget indian movies. salaam bombay, the apu trilogy, fire..."

Hi Fly! As you know, plenty of work and lots of travel have prevented me from posting in about 2 months or so - I just logged for the first time in as many moons and came across the mention of Indian cinema, one of my pet subjects, so I just gotta jump in.

Don't forget to mention (or see, if you haven't) the movie "Lagaan", India's entry for the upcoming Oscars. It's a brilliant movie about a bunch of Indian villagers who play a cricket match against a vastly superior team of British colonial officers - if the Indians lose, the taxes (lagaan) levied on the village will be increased threefold; if they win, they will have to pay no taxes for three years. It's a real nailbiter, a cricket match as a metaphor for the underdog fighting an oppressive rule.

I've seen the movie several times, once with a young Thai lady who hasn't got the slightest clue about cricket (neither have I), and who doesn't understand one word of Hindi; still, she was absolutely spellbound by the movie, not flinching a second from the screen.

OK, I've said my part, maybe not to reappear for a while ... or maybe to be back soon ...

Cheers

shygye,

I'm not referring specifically to the french situation (altough they are on te frontline), and I guess there are better ways than others to technically implement the protection of the local film production.

The main debate is between those who want to consider artistic and cultural production as any other product (mainly USA) and those who want to keep it out of WTO (mainly France : "exception culturelle").

There is more to a film than film, it is the expression of the culture, values, habits of a people. If no regulation (or protectionism) were allowed we would end with only a few concentrations of film producers (US, India, China...) having thus a monopoly over culture.

quote:

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

Don't forget to mention (or see, if you haven't) the movie "Lagaan", India's entry for the upcoming Oscars. It's a brilliant movie about a bunch of Indian villagers who play a cricket match against a vastly superior team of British colonial officers - if the Indians lose, the taxes (lagaan) levied on the village will be increased threefold; if they win, they will have to pay no taxes for three years. It's a real nailbiter, a cricket match as a metaphor for the underdog fighting an oppressive rule.

Cheers[/QB]

SB

The film you've described is hardly a brilliant concept. It's just another Rocky movie, underdog does well against oppressive forces. A well worn route particularly beloved of British audiences eg The Full Monty, Billy Elliot, Brassed Off etc. Gives audiences a wonderfully satiated feeling.

Originally posted by Sukhumvit:

"The film you've described is hardly a brilliant concept. It's just another Rocky movie, underdog does well against oppressive forces."

I don't think so. The wonderful thing is that the movie draws you completely in, even if - as I've mentioned - you haven't got a clue about cricket and/or don't understand the language.

I you want to see it: You get VCDs and DVDs of it at a place called DVD World in Chakraphet Rd. in the (Indian) Pahurat area. VCDs cost 200-250 Baht.

quote:

Originally posted by Azmit Gom:

American cinema is a disaster for everybody else.

Hollywood has grown so powerful after WWII that it has the greatest concentration of talented people and seasoned technicians. The distribution and marketing is also the most powerful on the planet, with subsidiaries in most countries.

There are many great american movies, but most of them obey to stereotyped recipes, to which audiences of the rest of the world has been made to get accostumed. So different, more personal or local filmaking has big trouble to reach audiences more and more lazy (and tv doesn't help).

It's an unfair vicious circle, whose consequence is to make the whole world think american !

So I believe governments of every country should continue and increment support to local film production and distribution (which USA strongly opposes).

Most of American films are stereotyped? As opposed to movies from India or Hong Kong?

Of course, most American films aren't very good. Most films aren't very good. You just notice it more because American films dominate the market. When you think of the top 100 movies of all time, I bet there are a few American ones there..

I don't rate British TV as much as you do. I think it's resting on its laurels somewhat. It's got nothing to rival the pure genius of 'The Simpsons' for example.

Originally posted by buffalo_bill:

"Scumbaggio ,

long time where you be ?"

India, Nepal, Southern Thailand, everywhere several times, in and out. Back to India in two weeks.

Danke der Nachfrage, tschuess,

SB

quote:

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

I don't think so. .[/QB]

Let's agree to disagree.

I've thought of another couple of similarly themed movies overnight. They're British again which says a lot about the British film industry; Up & Under, and that awful Billy Connolly/Jimmy Nail vehicle about the resurrected pop group whose name escapes me.

Anyway, welcome back by the way. Hopefully you've got some more useful info for the board on Asian semiotics.

Archived