Food to make you wretch - Khanom Khem/Wan

Fidel

Pla Rah or Pla La or whatever other romantacized translation one can attempt is:

Mud fish mixed with kao krua (roasted rice), water, and salt.

It is traditionally stored in a clay jar for at least 2 weeks to 1 month.

The recipe you have is not for Pla Rah but for a keang or curry containing Pla Rah.

thats the huckleberry ....... mud fish, i had two of them in a fish tank at home until thai women invaded my house and decided they were hungry !!

'pla ra' how do you write it in thai? ... »ÅÒÃéÒ ??? says pickled fish in the dic.

I`ve had the dubious pleasure of witnessing first hand how the fish are caught and then subsequently prepared.

They use just about any species of fish, but the majority is Pla Gradee - a Gurami, then the Pla Mor - Doctor Fish - Pla Soot - Don`t know the name in english and a whole array of other species that I don`t know the names of. What they all have in common is the size, usually less than 7-8 centimeters. Anything bigger than that is big enough for frying separately on a pan for immediate consumption.

The fish are actually gutted before being put in the clay jar in a nice cool place under the house (some +30 degrees C).

As my family are true gourmets it takes the Pla Rah at least a month to reach a satisfactory ripeness. Brrrrr.

Hua Nguu

Most of the fish I've heard classified by Thais here as mud fish or fish from muddy rivers. I think the ones you listed would all fall into that category.

Thai friends always tell me that I can't tell if it is in a dish. In actuality if it is a minor ingredient, I know it's there but I don't say anything, as the small amount isn't repulsive.

Some times, just to f' with them, I'll say "sai pla laa chai mai?" It's fun to see their reactions when they know you know.

Kaeng om graduk moo doesn't contain pla laa my ass.

Archived