Food to make you wretch - Khanom Khem/Wan

Fidel

I love Thai food, and I can and do eat almost anything that's put in front of me over here but there is one snack that I can't believe any human being could find stomachable.

The snack is known as Kanom Khem/Wan : salty/sweet. It generally comes in the form of a pyramid wrapped in banana leaf. Avoid this food at all costs... Jesus that stuff is evil.

The snack consists of a greyish coloured jelly outer skin which is sweet but when you bite into it the filling is as salty and garlicy as f**k and just tastes ... wrong... horrible, I have actually wretched and almost thrown up on tasting it. The worst thing is that the snack was given to me by a friend who proudly told me that her mother had made it... and there I am gagging on it and wretching and running away.... I guess that ay have been taken as an insult to her Mum's cooking.

Has anyone else tried this stuff?

Takes a bit of getting used to that one, but not all triangular banana leaf wrapped packages are the same.

Some have duck eggs, pork and shrimp in them, for example.

Me I like them all... But the one you mention does take a little getting used to...

No, that is because you are farang!

They automatically assume you wouldn`t want it. smile.gif

Nor the Poo Dorng by the way, the pickled crabs.

Especially in Isarn it is very difficult to get som tham without this stuff. Even when you order som tham without this obnoxious stuff you`ll have to add the magic words: Laang Coke gone na khrap. "Wash the mortar first" or you will have the dubious pleasure of still being able to enjoy the "ripe" taste of aforementioned substances.

Or just order Tham Thai. It is more or less the same just without the Pla Rah and Poo Dorng and instead with peanuts and dried shrimps.

By the way Pla Rah is not a fermented-fish dish popular in Isan. It is an ingredient used in a number of different dishes both in Isarn and in other regions as well. Although it particularly in the south is replaced by the equally unpleasant Kapi, fermented shrimp paste.

Hua Nguu

All I can say is that I ate what I was told was Pla Ra in the Central Region, it WAS fermented fish (thus the "pla," which is Thai for "fish") and, since I was a newbie at the time, the 1980's, more than one Thai colleague warned me against eating it again when they heard what I'd done. They did not have to tell me twice!

Ah! Here is a recipe. It IS a fermented fish, and I do see refernce to it being in somtam. Still, when they had me try it, it wasn't in somtam:

Fermented Fish Dipping

3 small fermented fish (known as "Pla Ra")

12 dry small chillies

1 ring galingale (optional)

7 shallots

2 garlic

1 tsp. salt

2 tbsp. lime or lemon juice

Wrap fish in aluminium foil or banana leave.

Roast fish together with chillies, galingale,

shallots and garlic at 200 íF for 5 minutes.

Take the chillies out and continue roasting

for another 3 minutes.

Chop fish finely.

Grind or chop chillies, galingale, shallots and

garlic.

Mix all ingredients together.

Serve with boiled vegetables top with

coconut cream.

Right. The peanut version - the Tham Thai - is actually great.

And ANY dish with Pla Rah, Pla Daek or Pla Dip in it (this substance has many names) is definitely not to my liking. And probably not to the majority of farangs either, although I have met some who actually like the stuff believe it or not.

Hua Nguu.

Archived