Speaking Thai. Essential?

.<< I have frequented several Thai bars here in Las Vegas, and unfortunately it has been my perception that the Thai that live here in the USA are extremely close knit, and almost downright bigoted against farangs. A term whih I associate in my mind as the "F" word. >>

When I visited Las Vegas I saw some Thai restaurants, shops, and grocery stores but didn't know about any Thai bars. What do you mean by Thai bar? Owned by Thais and Thai clientel?

It hasn't been my expierence that Thais in the USA are bigotted. But some that have aquired new wealth can become rather snobbish

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One Thai bar is located at 1201 S. Las Vegas blvd, and is simply called "The Bar". There is a Thai restraunt attached called Ocha and they are open 7 days until 5AM. (the bar is open 24/7) They have kareoke (sp?) four or five nights a week, as well as video poker in the bar. On kareoke nights the customer base is almost 100% Thai. They seem to go beyond snobbish. I'm sure it is a feeling of superiorty. The whole complex there consists of small Thai businesses.....sort of like a mini mall.

The food is quite good at Ocha. It is close to the strip..only a few blocks from the Stratosphere Tower. Also another restraunt/Kareoke bar I frequent is "Bangkok Boom" at 3111 S. Valley View blvd just north of Spring Mountain. This bar and restraunt is named after Boom the owner. Excellent food

here too, but even better than Ocha and more of it. Boom is there every night and she is definitely a great hostess. In all fairness every culture has their rednecks I guess. I might have been wrong in choosing the word bigotted. I can't read minds...who can? So I can never really know what someone thinks. I just have to rely on my perceptions.

Archived