Thai Food vs. Rural Issarn Food

Pescator

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG, the dancing shrimp. One thing that is hard to get used to in LOS is the surprise cell phone placed at your ear or food at your mouth. I was with a group of Isaan at an Isaan restaurant and they ordered a half dozen or so wonderful dishes; som tam crab, fried pork neck, grilled catfish, sticky rice, waterfall, and the like. Things just about anyone might enjoy given a little time to acquire the taste. One dish arrived and a spoon was quickly placed at my mouth. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught movement from the dish it came from. I closed my eyes and downed it. Tasted ok. Eventually got the courage to look over at what it was and it was a bunch of live shrimp jumping around in some kind of chili sauce!

I would say that most farang could probably eat those dishes.

But as I wrote in another post to OH I was particularly referring to the dishes prepared in the villages Bahn Nork in Issarn. Here you will find it very hard to recognize let alone identify the food they eat.

By the way, that was an absolutely sumptuous meal you enjoyed with your friends in the restaurant and with plenty of different stuff to choose between. If you however live in one of these villages on an everyday basis I will be surprised if you will no have the option of more than one dish and chances are high that a) it will not be any of the ones you mentioned and B) you will not know what it is. smile.gif

Hua Nguu

>Back in the village, all i can say is I am happy that my GF is with me to cook "down" a few kao paat and omelettes.<

I know exactly what you mean.

I sneak out once in a while to the noodle shop. But I am sure they all know what I am up to when I take off on my bike. I`ve been spotted there a few times by some young informers. smile.gif

Hua Nguu

"Well, Head Rat would be something like Hua Noo and would make little sense to have as a handle".....

HN,

Have you SEEN some of the handles around here?!!! And you think they make sense?!!!! Arai wa!

Anyway, not all of us have your grasp of the Thai language. I have seen rat/mouse and snake translated into English and both spelt "nguu". I know there is no real correct way to translate, but was just curious.

>Have you SEEN some of the handles around here?!!! And you think they make sense?!!!! Arai wa<

Good point. smile.gif

No matter what transliteration system you use these two words have little in common and in neither of these you will see them spelled the same way.

Different consonants and different tones.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Oh yeah, I hear you. I read your original post with some fascination. Made me reflect on why people buy bugs and the like in Bangkok. I can't say I've had things like you described and I've spent a time or two in Isaan.

Archived