Thai Food vs. Rural Issarn Food

Pescator

I guess there are plenty of thai food lovers in here. And I for one am no different.

However, how many of you guys are familiar with rural issarn food?

I can eat just about anything, and if the food doesn`t kill the thais it won`t kill me either.

But *liking* it is another matter especially after several months.

The thai food you are familiar with from restaurants, friends etc. have little in common with the stuff you are served up here.

So how do you like the Pla Rah, Pla Daek, Pla Dip or whatever they call the fermented fish that has been been fermented for months in 35 C+? Or the the Poo Dorng? The pickled crabs?

Basically the Pla Rah looks like rotten fish, smells like rotten fish, and ... yes tastes like rotten fish. And with Poo Dorng? substitute fish with crab and you got it right.

And they seem to add this stuff to just about every dish.

Thank God they also have the Khao Niaow or sticky rice to go along with it.

It is kind of funny though, they actually prefer the food they are used to. I recall when I went to buy some catfish for the entire familily - Pla duk. They are quite tasty. I bought a kilo and my family consists of some 10 members so I thought thay wouldn`t be too much. To my immense surprise they only prepare two out of the 5 that I bought and when I asked why, my sister-in-law replied that they preferred fish caught in the nature because they were "Waan Dee" - with a sweeter taste. They are true gourmets I`ll give them that and experts in finding food in the woods, fields and just about anywhere.

Hua Nguu.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"So how do you like the Pla Rah, Pla Daek, Pla Dip or whatever they call the fermented fish that has been been fermented for months in 35 C+?"

Ex had to be rushed to the hospital here to have her appendicitis (that was difficult to type) removed. I had a theory that the rotten fish might be the cause. So I sent the jar with it to the health authorities.

The reply back was that it probably wasn't the cause. But that the bacteria level was so high that it was deemed "not fit for human consumption". I kept that piece of paper and joked about it whenever I could smile.gif

Cheers!

I've eaten all sorts of stuff I'm not proud of! smile.gif I do like a few of the Issan dishes I've had, the fermented crab that often is hidden in the som tom is o.k. but a bit salty for my taste. I've eaten in several Issan/Lao food shops/restaurants, and generally like what is brought to the table. Never tried the whole fried baby frogs, or snake dishes though. Did get the ma satay (bbq dog) once or twice though.

When I wrote "rural Issarn food" I was referring to the food served in villages "Bahn Nork".

I`ve been living there for longer than I care to recall.

Food served in restaurants in Issarn has little resemblance to the stuff rice farmers eat at home.

Their diet consists for a great part of things they gather in nature along with the sticky rice of course.

And not everything they gather in nature is yum yum.

I must however admire them for their ability to eat just about anything and seemingly liking it too.

And I also admire them for their superior skills in finding food in places I would never dream of looking for it.

They are indeed survivors.

However, the wildlife sure suffers from their eternal quest for food. Have you ever noticed how few birds you see up here? Or just about any other kind of wildlife?

There is a reason for this.

And I blame the general logging ban in Thailand for not being able to sleep up here.

Because when the sun sets and darkness comes, it normally takes about an hour or so before the chainsaw symphony commences.

Hua Nguu

Archived