Phuket seashell museum

BelgianBoy

A small contribution from me to the new forum?..

The Phuket Seashell Museum

12/2 Moo 2 Viset Road

Rawai Beach

Phuket 83130 Thailand

Tel : 076 / 38 12 66

Fax : 076 / 38 17 77

Open daily from 8 AM ? 7 PM

Entrance fee : 200 Bhat ( indicated for both farang AND Thai )

It can be found very easily as it is on the main road from Chalong bay to Rawai beach, south-east on the island, but away from the main tourist areas.

It claims to be the world largest seashell museum, and it is rightly quite so, I have seen most other seashell musea in the world ,being an avid seashell collector myself.

It is quite a new building, opened a few years ago by HRH The King, quite large, and very well laid out to present all possible shells in their appropriate families.

All is well air-conditioned, brightly lit, all good explenations in both Thai and English, and a normal visitor will spend about an hour downstairs in the museum and about half of that on the groundfloor in the various souvenirs shops.

Needless to say, I nearly spend 3 hours downstairs only, much to the ? polite ? despair of my GF.

I owns the biggest Andaman gold pearl in the world ( 140 Karat ) as well as some very rare specimen of seashells, if you are in Phuket and want to do something else than the beach and bars, this is certainly a must do !

Cheers !

Fly,

Not really....... if you move in the collectors circles, you would know that 90-95 % of all shells are brough up by fishermen and that those shells are already empty.

Also, never walked along a beach and picked up a shell ? smile.gif

I do understand your point of view, but it is certainly not like collecting coral, which has to be cut of alive.

Cheers !

''Not really....... if you move in the collectors circles, you would know that 90-95 % of all shells are brough up by fishermen and that those shells are already empty''

BB Sorry mate you are wrong on this,

Lots of the shells that are available in Phuket have been taken live from the sea bed, I know this for a fact as I seen it with my own eyes and the culprits are the sea gypsies, they have taken nearly all the large clams from around Phuket and the islands, They gather shells that are alive not dead, these live shells are the ones that they sell not the dead one's, Dead shells like a cowrie shell that wash up on the shore have normally been dead a while and there surface is in bad shape for selling but if found alive they are in a perfect state to be boiled, polished and sold I am not saying that dead shells are not found by fisherman either just that the biggest majority are taken very much alive.

Guys,

Let me start by saying that I have absolutely no idea how shells are collected in Thailand.

I'm a long member of the Belgian Association for Conchyliology, and studies are made with associations in other countries on how shells are collected, that is where I have my data from.

Also the world largest exhibition is held here in Antwerp in may each year bringing more than 35 different countries together.

In previous times shells were brought up for food and for money, that cannot be changed.

I just wanted to contribute by saying that there is a great little museum out there !

Cheers !

Guest lazyphil

Yes we went a few years back, really enjoyed it too. Fly, is it enviromently friendly flying in gas guzzling jet aeroplanes to arrive in los. Of course it isn't. Just stay put in your home country if you worry so much.

BB et al,

I have to strongly second Racha's statement. Why? Because we are both scuba instructors and live, have lived in the Phuket area.

Many of those pretty shells are collected live, meaning the maker has not yet left its home.

In the Caribbean many people collect live black coral. Does that make it right?

Archived