29-day visas--any way to get 30?

I'm irritated that when I get a new 30 day entry visa, or when I'm getting an extension, you don't get the full 30 days, you get 29 because they count the last day of your visa as the first day of your new one. For example, if your visa runs out on September 15, and you get an extension on that date, or leave and re-enter the country, your additional time starts on that day, not the next day, so you are effectively only getting 29 days, or 9 days on a 10 day extension.

My question is, suppose you appear at the Immigration office the day AFTER your visa runs out. September 16 per the previous example, instead of Sept 15. Is that legit or is that an overstay? And will that get you your full 30 days (or 10 day extension)_or will they backdate the extension so that you still are cheated out of a day?

Hope you can understand the question. I know it's complicated.

Little things like this irritate me, especially with visa runs being such a huge hassle.

Wow!

Lets try to look at it this way - if your stay ends on day 15 you must leave the country before the end of that day - not day 16.

So, if you get an extension you are allowed to remain in Thailand that full day, day 15 - the first day of your extension.

Sound better?

You will not endear yourself to immigration by overstaying.

tell you what: On my trip to LOS I stayed exactly 30days, but as I was stamped in on the usual 30day visa it actually only allowed me 29days, so I inquiered whether it would be a problem for me as I showed the date on my return ticket? he said 1st day of overstay is ok, but next ones are charged at 500bt/day! when I came to immigration on departure I was let to the office & a bit of paperwork was done, but it was no major hassles or any cost, so as long as you ONLY overstay by 1 day you should be fine :-)

so I guess all visas are always 1 day less than stated. i.e. 30day allows you only 29. 10day=9days etc.

enjoy!

Hmmm, I may be recalling it wrong, but I have overstayed on my last 4 trips to Thailand, between 10 and 30 days.

FOR SURE, its only 200 Baht per day, overstay... My recall, also tells me, the 31st day is free, not as positive of that as the 200 baht per day however.

Sporty

If you arrived on the 5th of July, till August 4, you were in country, for 31 days, visa wise... The 5th counts, as a visa day, so 27 days of July and 4 days of August = 31 days.

All or a portion of a day counts. as far as VISA's are concerned.

The overstay, is 200 baht, per day, I am 99.99% on that, paid for at least 60 or 70 days in the last 3 years. Unless it has changed in the last 6 months, not sure.

Sporty

So you are not penalized for the first day of your overstay. But can you then get an extension, the day after visa expires, and it would start from that day, i.e., the day AFTER your visa expired? In other words, is this a viable option for getting that extra one day on extensions and 30 day visas on arrival?

What I mean is, should one always, deliberately, overstay by one day in order to get an extra day on visas and extensions?

Archived