29-day visas--any way to get 30?

Bungie6,

Unless you live a high risk lifestyle... You'll be okay, pay the 200 baht fine, per day, at departure...

DO NOT however, surrender yourself, other than the airport...

You get 30 days, and a grace day on a 30 day VISA =31... All or portions of days count, as a visa days...

Sporty

I think the confusion lies in the fact that the first day of you overstay is charged at 400 baht. though this is not charged if you are leaving on the day after your visa expires.

One day after that and you are charged 400 and then between 200 & 250 per day subsequently. I can't remember the exact figure.

I think you would have that leeway. What if the last day of your visa was a Sunday? You would have to wait until the Monday.

A phone call prior to your arrival to the office would be prudent. "Excuse me sir, the date on my visa says the 13th, I have an appointment, is it ok to come early on the 14th? I think you'll find the answer to the affirmative and you won't be so stressed about it.

A lot of people posting totally wrong and misleading info in this thread....

The law is 200 baht per day overstay from the first day, even one day you can be made to be pay if they want as that is the law, though most times they will be lenient with you for just one day,

Absolutely true.

Just because some people lucked out with a lenient or lazy immigration officer does NOT change the law.

Just about got caught leaving on the last day of a visa when I realized that the 1:30 AM departure was the day AFTER the visa expired. I went through early (before midnight and all I got was a little clock watching, but a friend who went after midnight got the "you realize you have overstayed your visa speech". Nothing else though.

Racha is 100% correct... Lots of wrong info on this Thread...

The fine for an overstay day is B200 per day... even the 1st day.

And they will absolutely charge you for the FIRST day if the Immigration guy decides he wants to ... it's all up to him.

I just went on a Visa run last weekend... One day late... and the guy was just about to stamp my passport, when BINGO he notices the date and sends me over to the Cashier to pay up. No "IF's, And's or But's".

Now I'm worried about my next run... On the way back as I was getting stamped in for my next 3 Months, I noticed that the Immigration guy had only put in a 30 day stamp in my Passport, instead of the 3 Months I get on a "B" Visa. I pointed it out to him before he stamped my Arrival Card and He crossed out the wrong date, Initialed it and put the correct date stamp in my passport under the Arrival stamp, and then stamped my Arrival Card with the correct date.

All I need now is some stickler to say that this is not legit when I gop on my next run and then I'm screwed.

Oh well... TOT.

CS

I think what was said was to cover you leaving the day after, not renewing.

For instance, many flights leaving Bkk for London leave after midnight. I can't see many officials baulking at the fact that is is the morning after.

Secondly, if renewing at an Imm. Office, I recommended calling beforehand, as I did on Samui, to cover any eventualities.

Archived