Buddhist amulets?

JJsushi

Recently went to a goldsmiths shop with a Thai friend who is friends with the owner. We went into a private locked room where he opens a safe and and shows us some religious amulets that a several thousand to a few years old. Imagine my surprise at some of the prices of these pieces of stone(I think some were sandstone)!

He proceeded to show me the differences in ages and pieces of stone and which was more or less valuable. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between one and the other because they all looked "old" to me. To hear these two chat back and forth excitedely in Thai and talk prices was beyond my comprehension.

Does anyone know of any reference materials that would explain the orgins any types of buddhist amulets?

Hi JJ,

I have a great fascination for Buddhist/Thai Culture parapharnelia myself. My purchases though are strictly for nostalgia only and personal emotional value. I'm hardly a 'collector' and certainly do not have a collectors knowledge and outlook on this matter.

I think that there are a few people around here however who are quite knowledgable on the subject. (I seem to recall that Flyonzewall for example collects wooden Buddha figures, but I may be mistaken?). Anyhow, hopefully these people will come by and give us all a few pointers.

Meanwhile:

I was recommended this book a while ago (but I have not read it myself so I can't tell how usable it is):

Tambiah, Stanley 1984 The Buddhist Saints of the Forest and the Cult of Amulets. Cambridge University Press.

As for web resources there is quite a bit to find on

Lek Watruaks Amulet site

If you can read Thai then there is of course an ocean of collectors guides, price lists, comparison charts, poster guides and lots more to be picked up anywhere through out the country (in Bangkok, most prevalent in the Chinatown area IME). -- But I think you knew that already!?

-- Did you say Thai penis amulets? smile.gif Then you can go here!

smile.gif

Straycat

Are we on the same wavelength or what, i was about to make a thread about this, as i am reading a book about amulets? It's called "BUDDHIST SAINTS OF THE FORESTS AND THE CULT OF AMULETS" by Stanley Tambiah, a famous author about SEA religions. I would think the best is to get a few of these amulet magazines available in amulet markets around BKK and have a thai friend or fluent thai reader to translate for you. I am sure some of it is boring and some fascinating. Most of these objects get their value from the power they are supposed to carry, as they definitely mix superstition with devotion. That book is fascinating, read it a few years ago, forgot a lot, and rediscovering it since yesterday. i am sceptical about the few 000s year-old age. if that is, they are more like unearthed religious artefacts than amulets, still it is true relics can become amulets, though there has to be some ground to their becoming it, as what do they represent, why would they have power inhabiting them, and especially by which holy monk or saint were they sacralized, as there is no amulet worth its power if it has not been blessed by a great Ajarn. definitely the oldest ones can only be of hindu-shivaite origins. I would have been very frustrated myself about not understanding what these guys talked about. Though i am not sure we farangs would get enthralled by esoteric talk, past a certain measure. Last time in BKK, i was looking for the amulet market near Thammasat, was rather skimpy, but i think there is a temple nearby that has a great one, just forget the name. Definitely, I will find it on my next visit. For now, just reading my book...

isn't that a great new Nana section?

Stray, i have that book in my hand at this very moment, as i just told JJ. It is a great read, and not too esoteric, actually you really get the grasp of how important amulets are to all kind of (thai) people, from down the ladder to very influential businessmen and politicians. All this stuff is so much "under" the surface in Thailand, expats, LT visitors acknowledge it, but I think you can't understand a lot of what is befuddling about behaviours and thoughts (even BGs) in Thailand, actually Asia, if you take them at face value, and not realize subcultures and undercurrents at work. There are so many onion skins to peel, so to speak, but that's why visiting LOS is always a renewed and refreshed experience. Every trip gets you a little deeper, a little more knowledgeable, and then what you thought you understood was actually based on wrong premises. Endless fascination! Gimme more...

many links on the net, try this one:

www.thaiAmulets.com

I reproduce an article from it about Buddhist amulets:

Amuletic Buddha Images : Belief and Faith

Phra Khong Wat Phra Khong .....Belief and faith have been parts of human beings of all races and languages since the ancient time. For this reason, different forms of amulets and charms have been created through all historical periods to boost morale and give support to believers. In many times, when people were in a critical or perilous situation, they would think of things they had strong faith in or took as their protectors; they then would gain conscience and became determined to fight against obstacles and dangers. Their strong will enabled them to succeed. As a result, people of different times preferred to have amulets and charms for themselves.

. Later, human beings started to have religion as their guidance in life. Symbols of their former belief and faith were developed to be more artistic. Particularly, Buddhists loved to pay homage to the places related to important incidents in the Lord Buddha's life -- Place of Birth, Attaining Enlightenment, Giving the First Sermon and Entering Nirvana. Each year a large number of Buddhists visited there holy places and they also looked for objects of worship so as to take back to enshrine in their own country. The natives living close to those holy places created votive tablets for sale at inexpensive prices. What they did was well received, so the practice of creating votive tablets became more extensive.

The tradition of creating votive tablets in Thailand was not originally for sale as mentioned above. Thai Buddhists created votive tablets with a belief to prolong and firmly establish Buddhism. Therefore, a large number of votive tablets, after being created, would be interred under stupas. It was believed that when the stupas were ruined or destroyed, people might excavate the ruins and found the interred votive tablets. Then, they would realize how Buddhism had been established in this area and they would be reminded of the Lord Buddha's benevolence.

.. Later on, those who created votive tablets were those who had undergone ascetic practice and had thus gained a supernormal will power. They, therefore, made use of auspicious materials to create votive tablets as well as meditated and prayed to transfer the strength of their supernormal will power to the amuletic images they created. So in times of calamities -- diseases or warfare, the Buddhists who took the Lord Buddha's benevolence as their haven, would carry with them small Buddha images to boost their spirit. This started the belief in votive tablets as protectors from dangers. Though these images are not meant to give beleivers an eternal life, they are made to represent the Lord Buddha and are made of auspicious materials. Those who pay homage to the Lord Buddha's images and follow his teaching would bring upon themselves auspices and good fortune.

Auspices in a person would render happiness and prosperity to that person.

i am sceptical about the few 000s year-old age. if that is, they are more like unearthed religious artefacts than amulets, still it is true relics can become amulets, though there has to be some ground to their becoming it, as what do they represent, why would they have power inhabiting them, and especially by which holy monk or saint were they sacralized, as there is no amulet worth its power if it has not been blessed by a great Ajarn. definitely the oldest ones can only be of hindu-shivaite origins.

[color:purple]

The dealer did make a distinction between showing me what was "ancient" meaning a thousand years old and what was "powerful" meaning which monk blessed it or temple it came from (keep in mind there was a lot lost in the translation as my Thai skills are nill).

He also took alot of time showing me the differences under a huge magnifying glass between what was real and what was fake. I was totally befuddled with trying to assess what was valuable and what wasn't. Some things looked like they were worth nothing and yet were worth thousands of dollars and other looked very valuable and were worth $20.

I was more amazed at his enthusiasm in teaching me when I clearly was not a customer(my friend was) and the amount of pride he showed with his "prized" personal pieces.

The guy even went so far as to take off the chain on his neck and explain each of the 15+ amulets he wore.

I must say fascinating stuff and something that one truly has to have a "Thai psyche" for to understand and value(meaning spiritually, financially and emotionally) such objects.

Thanks for a lot of interesting info in this thread. I don't know a lot about amulets although I have worn 3 of them for years.

I do believe they have protected me along the way. But as one monk put it "if the car reaches too high speed the spirit/protection will flee".

I will certainly look out for the book mentioned.

Cheers!

Archived