LoS virgin & avid golfer

Laem Chabang is certainly really nice, but as you said it can be really hard.

We don't play at Siam CC because they are too crowded and I think some of the staff (not caddies) have a bad attitude. They have implemented this rule that only 2 people, including caddy, can ride in cart. This make is impossible for someone to ride with you or to share a cart with your playing partner.

I usually play at Phoenix or Pattaya CC.

I think the count for within an hour of Pattaya is something like 15 courses.

Best advice is to go to the Pattaya Sports Club and join it.

TH

Very good!!!

Originaly it was a Military only Golf Course...that's how i learned about it. Now we are more PC in Thailand (actually the Brass figured this was Crap and have several new ones)

Kinda neat taxiing down the runway, watching two golf carts waiting to cross, or watching 2 guys hitting the 2nd shot to the green.

TIT.......truly unique.

Haven't been to Pattaya, but have played 'the Royal and Ancient' game in and around Phuket, Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Hua Hin. My thoughts:

Phuket has some very good courses, though most are over-priced (which doesn't seem to stop the Japanese players). You need to play the Blue Canyon 'Canyon' course at least once, which is one of the best courses in Thailand, though it costs about $150 US unless you can somehow get a special deal. The best value on Phuket is Loch Palm - around $50 US - isn't as perfectly maintained as some others and the clubhouse is a bit rundown, but the service is good and the course a lot of fun.

Bangkok - getting to the courses is a major 'pain in the arse' due to the traffic. I've only played a couple courses in BKK, which were a bit expensive and not terribly exciting.

Chiang Mai - the people, scenery and culture of Chiang Mai make this a definite must visit - also has some good courses that generally aren't crowded. Royal Chiang Mai is possibly the best in the area.

Hua Hin - can't beat it for value. Royal Hua Hin is, I believe, the oldest course in Thailand, very scenic, tough, interesting, good condition and inexpensive. Play in the afternoon to get the twilight rate and mix it up with the locals for around $20 US. Springfield Royal is a great Nicklaus layout that you can get on for around $35 US in the off season, though Majestic Creek (also around $35) is even more fun and less crowded, though the conditions aren't as perfect (but not bad).

All above prices include a very pleasant, well trained, smiling female caddie who will make your round an enjoyable excursion even if you don't play well. Tip her well - they work hard for the money and most have a family to support.

Archived