NEW BAN RULE BROUGHT IN BY FIFA

racha

From the premier league web site,

FIFA have announced that any player who is sent off will have to serve an immediate one-match ban with no right of appeal.

The ruling, announced by FIFA president Sepp Blatter, will be enforced in every league in world. Red-carded players will miss the next match of the competition they were sent off in, and only be allowed to appeal against suspensions of more than one game or to claim a case of mistaken identity.

The move will cause major changes in disciplinary procedures in British football, where until now dismissed players have had 14 days before they have to serve a suspension, and where professionals have in the past escaped bans by using video evidence.

FIFA will be contacting all 204 national associations over the next few days to inform them of the decision - and the new ruling is expected to come into force next month.

Blatter told a news conference in Zurich: ?A referee?s decision has no space for speculation. A player expelled by the referee has to serve a one-match suspension immediately.

?If people start casting doubt on the referee they start casting doubt on football.

?If a player commits a foul and is sent off then no scientific evidence, whether cameras or other, shall change this decision.?

The FA said they will have to wait for the FIFA notification and study the new ruling in detail before making any comment.

A spokesman said: "Until we have had formal notification from FIFA regarding the new ruling we are unable to make any further comment."

this 'rule' has it's good and bad points.

in my opinion,then a player should miss the next game/s once he is sent off/booked.

why wait 2 weeks for the punishment to kick in?.

but then again,if he is innocent of the charge,at least now he has the chance to appeal.

but cannot in the future?.

but should a player be punished twice?.

you all know i'm a utd supporter and i will stick up for the players,as all you others will with your teams.

Roy Keane was punished for his 'assault' on Haaland 3 years ago.

sent off and banned for a few games.

now he is threatened with another punishment because he spoke his mind.

why should anyone be punished twice for the same crime.

if i was tried in a court for a crime and found not guilty/guilty,i would not be charged again after a few years.

why is this in football.

This is stupidity.

On one hand Blatter says no chance of appeal then says but if its mistaken identity ...... You either have a chance to appeal or you dont. If you allow appeals for one reason you must do it for other reasons as well.

I think the english system is pretty much one of the best. It allows refs to change their minds and use technology ie tv to decide yes they were right and confirm the card or no they were wrong and cancel it. yes its not ideal but there will never be an ideal system.

According to the FA Keane has committed two offences ( one the tackle and two the book ) so its not double jeapardy

Archived